AirPlay/AirPort questions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Fromm.Erich, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Fromm.Erich macrumors newbie

Helle,

This is my first post to the forums. So, please direct me to the right forum, if I picked the wrong one for the following questions.

Background Information - I am searching for a solution to hear music in multiple rooms in my apartment from sources like e.g. Radio, CD, etc.

It seems as if AirPlay is an option to have audio transfered over WLAN.

Is it correct, that the audio sources with AirPlay are currently limited to either iOS devices or iTunes? Thus, ist would be challenging to have Radio and CDs?
    I found speakers, that are AirPlay compatible, but also the option to have non AirPlay enabled active speakers connected to an AirPort Express or Extreme. Are there other WLAN router/repeater products available that offer a similar functionality?

Thank you in advance for your help,
    Erich

2. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

You probably need the Digital Audio forum.
    I don't use Airplay but I'm answering as there is one aspect you didn't mention. Do you want the Audio to be synchronised or not ? If you do, then I don't think Airplay will do. You need to look at Sonos (http://www.sonos.com/system). I have a Sonos zone in 6 rooms all synched to whatever source I choose - Radio, CDs, TV audio etc.