Airplay - am i missing something?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mkallevik, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Mkallevik macrumors member

I just downloaded and installed 4.2 GM on my iPad and thought i'd try out airplay. I can only get it to work with music. I thought it would work with photos, movies etc. Am i missing something or is this coming later perhaps? Does airplay only work with iTunes bought/rented movies?

2. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

I read that it requires an update to the Apple TV itsself before video is going to work.

3. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Can someone Clarify.

For this to work, you need your TV, your AppleTV, your iMac and your iPad all up and running?

4. Mkallevik thread starter macrumors member

My AppleTV says up to date. It is the latest appletv ofcourse. Maybe there is coming an update for it as well.

5. Mkallevik thread starter macrumors member

I also have my Tv, AppleTV, iMac and iPad all up an running:p

6. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Yeah there is, won't work until updates OS for ATV is out....so just chill a few days! :D

7. Mkallevik thread starter macrumors member

Ahh ;) Thanks, i'l just wait then :)

8. jasonordeholmes macrumors newbie

Sorry to hijack the thread but should you be able to airplay your iPhone's videos that you have taken?

Ie video from the video app and videos that you have created from iMovie?

I dont see the airplay option when you playback a video from the Photo Album application.

Thanks

9. shandyman Suspended

am i missing something, is the airplay icon meant to be there by default? or does it only come up when a compatible device is nearby?

10. magga macrumors regular

Yep, it only shows it if finds a compatible AirPlay device.

11. 3Pedals6Speeds macrumors member

So, until whatever update for the ATV2 comes out, it won't show? I ask because I'm watching Netflix on an iPad on the same network as the ATV2, and no airplay icon is appearing on the iPad. Doesn't look anything like the apple website says it should: http://www.apple.com/appletv/

12. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

AirPlay only works with the stock (as in official) QuickTime media player. Netflix, ABC Player and Hulu Plus use a custom media player and will have to update their applications to support AirPlay.

I expect Netflix will support AirPlay eventually since they support video output (although that update took awhile).

No word on ABC Player (although I doubt it) and Hulu Plus (another iffy).