AirPlay and an iTunes server... is it possible?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by jacquesdeluxe, Dec 26, 2010.

1. jacquesdeluxe, Dec 26, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2010

jacquesdeluxe macrumors newbie

I recently bought an apple TV started using all its wonderful features at home.

Now I want to access all my music and videos without having to power up my computer! The way I see it, I have 3 options.

1. Power up an computer with iTunes and keep it on 24/7

2. Use a Network-attached storage (NAS) and install an “iTunes server”… Is this possible?

3. There is a mini USB in the back of the ATV... it is possible to plug in a flash or my NAS drive? NO GO...

The best,
    Jakob

2. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Itunes server? If you mean a media server, then you just have a low power PC running (many use a mac mini) and have your ATV connected to that's library.

Do you have any ipod touches or ipad etc? Using airplay off of those could be a cheaper option.

3. jacquesdeluxe thread starter macrumors newbie

I already have a NAS with all my music and I was hoping that I didn't have to have another computer running all the time.

option 3: There is a mini USB in the back of the ATV... it is possible to plug in a flash or my NAS drive?

4. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

5. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Don't think this will ever be possible as the apple tv is a USB client, so I'd be surprised if it were physically possible to get it to host an external hdd.

I'm wondering the same thing as you about a NAS drive, but so far all I have found are essentially low power computers running iTunes.

6. Wheeler macrumors member