Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I don't see Sony allowing this anytime soon. It's possible, but may not be Sony allowed.

comthre3

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2009
I know that this thread has been dead for a while now, but now that the PS3 is jailbroken, does anyone know of any "unofficial" support like, Airplayer on Windows/Ubuntu/OSX ? Thanks

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
The PS3 does not even support the latest DLNA profiles.

For example, it doesn't support push DLNA that's available through Windows Media Player on Windows 7 (the DLNA equivalent to AirPlay).

There's no way Sony will pay Apple a licensing fee to support AirPlay.

comthre3

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2009
I was always under the impression that AirPlay was a Bonjuer service, anyways, it would be nice if it can be somehow imported, as you can tell im no programmer, but a dreamer i may be :p

selfdisplaced

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2009
just use "PS3 Media Server" it will stream any media file type you throw at it. Choose a video folder and choose a music folder and the PS3 will stream from your Mac/PC. This is way way way better than using Airplay anyway since it supports just about every media type.

Headrush69

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2007
just use "PS3 Media Server" it will stream any media file type you throw at it. Choose a video folder and choose a music folder and the PS3 will stream from your Mac/PC. This is way way way better than using Airplay anyway since it supports just about every media type.

That's fine if you keep all your media together, but Airplay supports pushing streams from devices dynamically.

IMHO Airplay was never intended to be a DLNA replacement. (although it can be )
It was designed for an Apple centric environment such that when surfing on an iPad and you find something on YouTube for example and want to share it with family, just send it to Airplay device.

Using DLNA, save video, copy to DLNA server, then select on DLNA client.

DLNA's great for static content like your movie library, but Airplay is better for random dynamic content.

The bottom line is they are complementary, not exclusive.

I use both. iTunes homesharing and Airplay for Mac and iOS devices and the same library shared using Playback (DLNA server) for Windows PCs and my PS3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.