Airplay - Apple TV does not wake up

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by msvadi, Nov 16, 2013.

1. msvadi macrumors regular

My iPhone cannot wake up the Apple TV if I first turn on Airplay and then start playing music. It does wake up if I do those operations in the reverse order: first start playing music and then turn on Airplay. I assume it's not the way it's supposed to work. Is there a way to fix this?

2. PNutts, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013

PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

3. msvadi thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. Let me know what you find.

4. markisttoll macrumors newbie

I have the same issue. Did anyone find a way to fix this?

5. luftx macrumors member

luftx

I was having the same issue and I reset the AppleTV and everything started working fine.

6. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Sometimes you have to pull the plug on the atv rebot your iphone etc to see them pop up. If not reset the atv

7. cynics macrumors G3

Reset the Apple TV, hold the menu button + down button while pointing at the ATV until the LED flashes rapidly.

That seems to fix most of the minor quarks in mine.

8. markisttoll macrumors newbie

Thanks for your answers! I have already reset the Apple TV and reset it to factory settings. I also started the iPhone a few times again.

Can it be connected to the wireless router? After I moved earlier this year, I got a new wireless router, and since then I have these problems. Are there any settings I have to make?

ATV and iPhone are up to date...

9. markisttoll macrumors newbie

I forgot to write that I have a running Airport Express in the Kitchen where I listen to music with. This works without any problems...
    ATV is connected with a cable to the router - Airport Express via WiFi...

10. markisttoll macrumors newbie

I got yesterday at the Apple Store under warranty, a new Apple TV. Everything worked fine. As of today, I have the same problem: When I select Airplay via iTunes or iOS, nothing happens. Only when I turn on the Apple TV with the remote control, I can stream via airplay.

Any suggestions what I can do?
    I think that this is a network problem. Do I have to enable any ports on the router?

11. kuvolt macrumors newbie

Same problem here, did you find any solution?

My apple tv 3 won't wake up on demand when I try to send music to my soundbar, that worked fine with my apple tv2. Have you found any solution yet?

12. markisttoll macrumors newbie

nope... the problem still remains with iOS8 and the latest ATV update!

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I just set my Apple TV to never sleep. Problem solved.

14. kuvolt macrumors newbie

Solved by connecting via WIFI, not Ethernet

Previously I had my ATV3 hard wired to my router, then the ATV3 wouldn't wake up on demand as I posted firstly. Just a moment a go I disconnected the ethernet from my ATV3 a tried connecting it via WIFI, and voilá, it works now! that is, my ATV3 is now available on demand and wakes up when I send music from my iPhone without having to use the ATV remote to wake it up.

----------

How is your ATV connected to your network, wifi or ethernet?

----------

8765 hours a year * 6 watt(ATV3 power consumption)=52.59 kWh ...sounds like a lot, I don't know if I want to have my ATV3 awake all the time. :(

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Suit yourself, but I think I can handle the less than $10 per year in expense.