Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
I can't figure out why this is the case. When I click on the AirPlay icon on my iPhone, my computer is the first option, with the Video icon, and Apple TV shows as the second option, but with the Audio icon. So it's not showing as allowing video at all. Playing a song to my ATV2 works fine. When I play a video, it just plays on the phone. Doesn't even send the audio to the ATV2.

Any ideas why ATV2 isn't showing as a video option?

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
What app are you using? Only a very few apps allow video over AirPlay. The same is true of websites, only a very, VERY few videos will work with AirPlay from within Safari. Also, try a cold restart of the iPad (i.e. turn the iPad completely off by holding down on the power button until you see the shutdown message on the iPad's screen, then wait until it is completely turned off, then press the power button down again to restart the iPad).

Panch0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010
Virginia
iOS versions?

It may depend on the app, but I've managed to AirPlay at least one video from either Netflix or iPod app from my iPhone4 to my ATV (sorry, i was just testing it myself and I don't remember wich app I used).

In addition to checking which app/site/content you are trying to use, are you sure you've updated both devices to the latest iOS release?

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
It may depend on the app, but I've managed to AirPlay at least one video from either Netflix or iPod app from my iPhone4 to my ATV (sorry, i was just testing it myself and I don't remember wich app I used).

In addition to checking which app/site/content you are trying to use, are you sure you've updated both devices to the latest iOS release?
As far as I know, Netflix won't work over AirPlay. Just use Apple's "Videos" app, that should definitely work (if not, then do the cold restart as I mentioned in my first post). And yes, as Panch0 notes you need the latest versions of software for both your iPhone and Apple TV 2. I think you also need at least an iPhone 3GS or better for AirPlay video.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
What app are you using? Only a very few apps allow video over AirPlay. The same is true of websites, only a very, VERY few videos will work with AirPlay from within Safari. Also, try a cold restart of the iPad (i.e. turn the iPad completely off by holding down on the power button until you see the shutdown message on the iPad's screen, then wait until it is completely turned off, then press the power button down again to restart the iPad).

I hadn't even gotten as far as choosing an app. I hit the home button twice, swiped to the left twice, and connected to the ATV2 that way. And it only showed it as audio.

I was also just trying through the iPod app, so I'm sure that should work. But it only shows the ATV as an audio source. Not video.

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
I hadn't even gotten as far as choosing an app. I hit the home button twice, swiped to the left twice, and connected to the ATV2 that way. And it only showed it as audio.

I was also just trying through the iPod app, so I'm sure that should work. But it only shows the ATV as an audio source. Not video.
Yes, the iPod app should work as long as you have an iPhone 3GS or better and you have updated the Apple TV 2 software to the latest release (v4.2 -- although sometimes referred to as just iOS 4.3).

Forget about my mention of the Videos app, that is only available on the iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.