Airplay black screen

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by theslaz, May 4, 2014.

1. theslaz macrumors 6502

Running a Imac; OSX 10.9.2 and a ATV3. Whenever I try to run Airplay from my Imac; all I get is a black screen on my Tv which of course is connected to my ATV3. I have 2 ATV3 hooked up to 2 Tv's and I have the same problem with both. I have tried beamer from my Imac; and it gives me an error of failing to connect. I also have a MacBook Pro that I can use; and it connects perfectly to both ATV3; via Airplay and Beamer.
    I do run Plex on my Imac and it works perfectly with both ATV's.

I just recently installed a script on my Imac for Plex; so that it would start automatically whenever the Imac is booted. Don't know; this may be the problem; however, I do not know how to remove the said script in order to determine this. The script is as follows:

cd "/Applications/PlexConnect-master/support/OSX"
    sudo ./install.bash

Any suggestions?

2. mortonapple macrumors newbie

Do you have sound? Or no sound at all?

I had the sound + black screen once, running Air play.

As with most Air play related problems, I tried to turn WiFi off and on again on my OSX device. Solved the problem. Give it a try.

3. theslaz thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks
    No sound. I will try what you suggested and let you know.

4. theslaz thread starter macrumors 6502

To tell the truth; I never really checked if there was sound; as I just checked to see if there was video by just trying to show my desktop. However; I just tried a movie and it does not give me sound or video. The screen on my tv just goes black. But; on my computer; it appears to be trying to work; as there is video but no sound; and that is exactly the way it should be if AirPlay is working properly. And like I mentioned; Beamer does not work either, so it has to be something to do with my computer.

5. theslaz thread starter macrumors 6502

I had a brain fart when I mentioned that I didn't have sound. Well yea; there would be no sound when I don't turn on the sound bar! Dah!!!

So; there is sound and a black screen!

6. theslaz thread starter macrumors 6502

After playing around with this; I found that if I play a movie through Itunes; Airplay works. Don't use Itunes and I get the dreaded black screen. My player of choice is VLC; doesn't work; nor do any of the four other players that I tried.

7. paradise1man macrumors newbie

Hi,i do have the same problem that you had “black screen” after upgrading to el captain OS X,did you find any solution for this??

8. fieldtech macrumors newbie

fieldtech

I had this problem with two teachers. Here is what worked for me.

1) I un - replugged the ATV - that fixed the first one.

2) Other teacher was recently upgraded to MacBook Air, then it worked for about a week before getting black screen, but audio ok. She could get it to work from her iPad, iPhone, and I could get it to work from my MBPro.

For Teacher 2 I changed the resolution IN THE APPLE TV. Did not help to change resolution in computer until after I found that using 1080p HD - 50Hz (TV Resolution) from ATV Audio/Video from menu was the resolution that worked. Play around with the ATV resolution and see if that helps. It might be different for different computers.