Airplay button disappears after ATV sleeps

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Meju, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Meju macrumors newbie

Hey there;

I'm not entirely confident as to which forum this is best suited for but here is my issue.

Normally, I can stream Airplay Mirroring from my Mini (late 2012) to my ATV without any issues; however, now the airplay button magically disappears from the menu bar after disconnecting or the ATV (2) goes to sleep.

This just started happening out of the blue. Would this be an issue with the ATV or Mavericks or what? I've tried rebooting the ATV, turning Airplay off/on on the ATV as well. I try turning Airplay display settings off/on in Mavericks system prefs, but it says there is no airplay device detected... and the only way I can get the Airplay button back is to restart the Mini, which is a pain in the neck.

I'm just so confused as to why it's happening and why it started happening now after being perfectly flawless for months (unless it's supposed to happen this way.) Both the Mini and ATV are up to date software wise.

Is there a secret way to call for the Airplay button on the Mini or is restarting the only option?

Hopefully this isn't a common issue and someone could offer some insight into this :)

2. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

So are you letting your ATV sleep? Is that what is causing the issue?

Have you tried just turning off sleep on the ATV? The ATV's only consume a couple of watts active and a single watt asleep, so the cost difference is negligible.

3. Meju thread starter macrumors newbie

It happens when the ATV goes to sleep or if I manually go to the computer and "disconnect mirroring from Apple TV"

After I choose that, it disconnects from the ATV and the menubar button disappears until I restart.

4. Alrescha, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014

Alrescha macrumors 68020

The Apple TV, Airport Extreme, and the Airport Express are all supposed to act as a Bonjour Sleep Proxy. See:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3774

In my experience, Apple TVs and computers with iTunes running plus Wake On Lan enabled always show up in Apple menus, regardless of whether they are awake or sleeping. My Apple TVs are almost always sleeping, and wake when a copy of iTunes says it is time to play.

A.
    (I have not had problems like this for years, but when I did my solution was to restart *everything*)

5. Meju thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried that as well. After it disappeared, I tried to see if I could still access it through iTunes or to see if I could re-enable it again via iTunes, but Airplay was missing from that as well.

It's just weird and started happening out of the blue. I use it every single day and then boop... it starts disappearing one night after using it.