Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ziggy007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
Hi,

I have itunes 11.0.5 and can not get the airplay button to display! (macbook pro)
Tried everything I know (which isn't much) & everything I've read online. I'm new to the airplay thing!
Doesn't show on miniplayer either.
All network settings seem ok. Wifi Internet sweet.
The receiver (Yamaha 673) is ok on network & is set to airplay, and airplay works ok through my iphone4 Yamaha app. (although iTunes on phone doesn't display airplay button either.)
Thought maybe someone had experienced similar before.
To me it seems there must be some mac setting that is inhibiting the airplay feature
(Have reset & rebooted everything)

Cheers in advance
Gavin

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
Some Yamaha receivers require the unit to be connected to the network via wired cable to allow Airplay. Have you tried plugging an ethernet cable into the receiver then testing Airplay?

ziggy007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
Hi Thanks,
Yes the receiver is connected by ethernet cable to the router/modem and all good (as far as its telling me !)

ziggy007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
Hi,

What I did do was turn off the DHCP setting in the network setup and two things happened....

1) Airplay buttons appeared on my devices ( but they wont connect !) The Mac 'sees' the AVR when I select the airplay button but wont connect and comes up with an error. The iphone just doesn't output anything .

2) Lose control of the AVR from my iphone app as it cant also see it anymore on the network.

(also tried connecting mac via ethernet cable to router- no difference)

Again, any help appreciated. I'm certainly not Au-fait with this side of things

Cheers
Gavin

ziggy007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
Hi, thanks for the replies

I discovered if I go into the AVR network settings and select the DHCP setting to 'off', the airplay icon then appears in black on iTunes but wont connect. When I then turn the DHCP settings back to 'on' the airplay turns blue, connects instantly & 100% ok!

If however I close the mac I will have to do it again to get it to connect as it wont see the AVR.

Does anyone know how I can get this to to work? I thought having it turned on would allow the IP address to be assigned automatically and just work every time I turned itunes on the Mac (or iphone) on.

• Internet radio is sweet.
• No additional settings changed on my mac that I know of. I don't have any AV software installed.

The AVR is wired directly to the router and connection seems ok.

Thanks again,

Gavin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.