Airplay Compatible with Airport Extreme?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by LuthersBoots, Nov 4, 2011.

1. LuthersBoots, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2011

LuthersBoots macrumors member

Morning/Evening everyone.

This morning I woke up thinking I wish it was easier to turn on my iPad and stream my music to my speakers without having to switch the tv on and have my 2 year old scream for "peppa pig".

I run an ATV2 and use it for movies and streaming music to a set of JBL Spot speakers.

In the most part this works fine but I would love to just turn on the music and send it through the speakers.

I had a quick look around on the net and an airport base station seems to be the way forward as they have an rc (rya? whatever it is heapdphony thing) jack I can plug the JBL's into.

Okay, sooooo, the Airport Express goes for about £60 on ebay. And it has an rc jack. And the Airport Extreme Router has an RC jack (or does it?) that runs at about £20.

Can I stream music from my iPad to the Airport extreme and save some pennies? Or does it have to be an express?

Also, can I stream the sound from my movies from my ATV2 to the speakers in this setup? haven't seen that one on the settings.

Anyway...look forward to the replies.

Over 'n out

Attached Files:

2. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

Not positive, but I didn't think you could stream to the extreme. Also note that the jack won't work with unpowered speakers... it essentially needs an amp in there.

3. LuthersBoots thread starter macrumors member

Okay, I've been looking and it seems that the express is the only option?
    The JBL spot speakers are powered so no issues there.

I'll keep hunting for a cheap express...Good thing is I don't need it to be 11n 11g will do fine with my setup.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, you can't do that with AirPort Extreme and yes, the AirPort Express is the only option. They're not expensive, so it's really not worth trying to find an alternative that doesn't exist. You might find one on the Apple refurbished store, to save a few dollars.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/mac_accessories

I use the AirPort Express daily, to play iTunes on my stereo speakers. It's also great to take on the road when I travel, so I can create a wireless network in a hotel room, or connect to any stereo system I want to.