Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

helveta

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
I've been using a TV connected to ATV2 to show presentations in my office via airplay from my Mac. The ATV2 is on a wireless network using a express router and the mac is connected to the same network on the same router.

I see today that the airplay option is not showing up on the mac. The airplay is turned on on the ATV2 but the mac isn't seeing it. ATV2 has most recent update but mac is still on mountain lion.

Any suggestions?

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I've been using a TV connected to ATV2 to show presentations in my office via airplay from my Mac. The ATV2 is on a wireless network using a express router and the mac is connected to the same network on the same router.

I see today that the airplay option is not showing up on the mac. The airplay is turned on on the ATV2 but the mac isn't seeing it. ATV2 has most recent update but mac is still on mountain lion.

Any suggestions?
I've never used Airplay from my mac but the same thing happens routinely with my iPhone and iPad (I have 2 ATVs and they both disappear). On those I do a reset of the iPhone or iPad and the Airplay option comes back, but I don't know what you would do in this case.

helveta

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
OK, I've restarted the apple tv and unplugged both the apple tv and the airport express, and rebooted the mac. Still no connection. I've confirmed that both the apple tv and the mac are on the wireless network.

Any other suggestions?

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Do you have an iPhone or iPad? Could you use those to check if they saw Apple TV?

helveta

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Do you have an iPhone or iPad? Could you use those to check if they saw Apple TV?

Great idea. Yeah, the iPhone can mirror to the apple tv. But not the mac's display setting for AirPlay Mirroring it says No Devices Detected.

helveta

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Just to complete this, I called Applecare and spent almost three hours on the phone with them. The culprit turned out to be a setting in McAfee's firewall. All works fine now.

This is the first time I've used applecare and I think I got my money's worth.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Just to complete this, I called Applecare and spent almost three hours on the phone with them. The culprit turned out to be a setting in McAfee's firewall. All works fine now.

Well, who would have thought...

wedontneedroads

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2014

This is a helpful link. Thanks. Is there a simple way to determine which other software might be blocking ports used by Airplay? Mine too has disappeared, and all software on the Macs, Apple TVs are up to date, and a restart of all routers and systems hasn't changed things. I don't have McAfee but maybe some other software is blocking a needed port.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.