Airplay does not work when playing films on iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bluesrules, Mar 6, 2014.

1. bluesrules macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a Mac Mini connected to my TV and a Bose® SoundLink® Air wireless music system, which I use with AirPlay with my iPhone and iPad with no problem.

However, with the Mac Mini I can only get it to play music, when I start a film or video the sound stops coming out of the Bose system and comes out of the Mac Mini speakers. Even the Airplay symbol on iTunes disappears.

Is this normal?

MAc Mini runs on Snow Leopard.

Thanks for your help!!

2. njharris97 macrumors member

I think that because you are attempting to airplay two things at once it is getting confused, thus the first one stops.

.P.S. Great choice on speakers!!!

3. NukeIT macrumors regular

On my rMBP I have to select which speakers I want to use when I hook up a HDMI cable to it. Go to "sound" in systems preference

4. bluesrules thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks but that doesn't apply when you use Airplay. The speakers doesn't even show up as an option in the Sound Preferences panel, and I think they shouldn't, after all you use Airplay to stream sound from iTunes to the speakers.

Ans as I said it works well with music but not with videos.

5. bluesrules thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for this but I don't quite understand what you mean.

If you look at the attached screenshot you can see I have selected from the AirPlay icon the Bose Speakers. Now when I play music no problem great sound etc.

Now when I choose to play a video the AirPlay icon just disappears and sound comes out of the MacMini Speaker.

Any ideas as to what might be happening?

Thanks!

Attached Files: