AirPlay drops when streaming from iPhone or iPad....why and how to stop it?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by iHobby, Jan 30, 2014.

1. iHobby macrumors newbie

Sometimes I stream video from an app to the Apple TV3 from my iPhone 5 or iPad Mini running iOS 7. It will be doing fine then suddenly not be in AirPlay mode anymore.

Anyone know why or experience this too?

Also, why doesn't more apps support AirPlay or AirPlay mirroring? I consider this ability crucial until AppleTV supports real apps and an App Store.

2. ninety5eclipz macrumors member

Are you running a wifi repeater in your house that shows a different signal name? If so make sure your Apple TV and your device are connected to the same wifi signal

3. twintin macrumors 6502

I have similar issue that started after upgrade to iOS 7 (worked fine with iOS 6). Beside possible WiFi interference issue (you can always trie to change WiFi channel) I believe there are stability issues and bugs in iOS 7 that causes this. We'll see if it is fixed in the upcoming iOS 7.1.

AirPlay Mirroring (desktop replication) is not an application feature, it is an OS core feature which does not require any particular application support and hence works with pretty much any app.

AirPlay Audio&Video on the other hand is an app feature. It is up to each app developer to decide whether to support it or not. Only requirement is that the video can be hardware decoded, which implies H.264 or MPEG4 encoded videos. For other type of videos software decode is the only option and hence no AirPlay Audio&Video.

4. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

Are you saying it switches back to playing on the local device such that you have to go to the control widget and select airplay again? That is weird. I'm running iOS 7 on two devices and have no problem. I think it is time for a trip to the Genius Bar. Let them sedan the device and see if they can detect some reason for this.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

No problem with iOS 7. Using Airport Extreme.

If you have occasional drops, then it's your wifi.

6. mjdindc macrumors newbie

I've got no problem streaming a movie to my device or listening to Pandora or it, but I can't go 10 minutes with airplay without it dropping and usually requiring me to restart it. I just don't buy that its a network issue. It was pretty stable with few drops until IOS 8