Airplay embedded video like iOS?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Robisan, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Robisan macrumors 6502

When web browsing in iOS virtually all embedded video content has the option to Airplay just the embed url video content to Apple TV. It seems my new rMBP OSX only enables entire display mirroring. Is there any way to have iOS-type browser Airplay in OSX?

2. Robisan thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I saw those. I was hoping there might be something new and directly on point. I made the move to Mac/OSX (this week) in part because I assumed functionalities would be similar to iOS -- in particular I had this in mind. It's disappointing that if I want to stream an Internet video to Apple TV I must surrender my entire $2,000 Macbook to that purpose.

3. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Didn't exactly get your point.
    Using clickToFlash I can stream most HTML5 embedded videos.

4. Robisan thread starter macrumors 6502

I mean no disrespect to this suggestion. My principal point is I'm surprised the ability to Airplay embed video isn't native to OSX, as it is in iOS. My comment above is that as Apple devises it I must devote my entire Macbook to this purpose.

My reticence to go with clicktoflash is two-fold -- right now I have less than one week of experience with my new Macbook/OSX and I'm not ready yet to start mucking with add-on installs that change functionality (flash handling). Gotta get my feet on the ground here first. Secondly, I need to learn a bit more about the implications of the principal purpose of clicktoflash, which may be beneficial, but is not my purpose for using it. That's why I was looking for a simple way (or add-on) to just enable embed Airplay.

5. priitv8 macrumors 68020

I see your point. As Apple has completely redone the API & Frameworks below media playback (from QTKit to AVFoundation), let's just hope this fundamental functionality will appear sometime as part of the OS-wide framework. Apple has several times released a functionally crippled product to be on the market and then slowly evolved it over time.
    PS I still don't get the devotion part ;)

6. Robisan thread starter macrumors 6502

I just mean that if I want to Airplay an Internet video I can't use the Macbook for anything else. Devote is (yet another) English word that has several meanings. In this case I mean "To set apart for a specific purpose or use."

7. priitv8 macrumors 68020

I understand the meaning of the word. But IMHO, if you use Mavericks, you can make your AirPlay display a 2nd desktop (not mirroring) and maximise your browser's playback window to that screen, while using the MBP built-in screen for anything else you please. No?
    You can also drag your Safari tab out to 2nd desktop for that purpose and later merge them all back to one window again.

8. Robisan thread starter macrumors 6502

I did not know that. I would've assumed a second desktop display would require a hard wire connection to an external display. This is something I'll look into after I have a little more experience with OSX basics. Thanks for the info. :)

9. priitv8 macrumors 68020

10. Robisan thread starter macrumors 6502