Airplay: Express vs AppleTV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by flatfoot99, Oct 10, 2013.

1. flatfoot99 Guest

Hey folks... just got a soundbar and will route everything from my tv to it. I'd also like to stream audio from my Mac mini to the soundbar using a separate input so I don't have to turn on the TV.

I have an express and AppleTV in the same spot so just curious if there is any benefit to either?

Also... I see I can stream from the music app and remote app. Any pros or cons to those?

Thanks!

2. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

1. Advantage is if you need analog audio output, you can only do that from the Express. The AppleTV would be digital (optical) audio only.
    2. Advantage of using the Remote app is that you are playing it from your Mac Mini to the Express/AppleTV directly. From the Music app you are playing it from the Mini to your phone to the AppleTV/Express. More wifi hops = greater chance of losing packets to the audio.

3. flatfoot99 thread starter Guest

Thank you... that's great info!

I think Ill use the express... that way I can use the AppleTV without sound if I ever need that option. (I would be using optical on whichever I use)

Remote app sounds like the better option but is it just me or does the music app seem a little more refined? I can't seem to find any of my premade iradio stations? Am I not looking in the right spot?

4. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

Be aware that the AppleTV can also send the audio signal to the Airport Express via Airplay.

The Airport Express is more audiophile friendly, too. It will send out a bitperfect 16/44.1 (CD Quality) audio signal to your speakers. The AppleTV only sends out a 48khz signal, so it has to change the bitrate on the fly.

5. flatfoot99 thread starter Guest

Even more reason to use the express! Thanks!

6. flatfoot99 thread starter Guest

Maybe the remote app just needs to be updated?

7. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Not only that! It outputs a Linear PCM audio signal at 48kHz samplerate, yielding bitrate of 2304kbps!

8. flatfoot99 thread starter Guest

Just found out I can watch appletv and airplay the audio portion to the express. Saves me from having to connect both to the soundbar.