Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jim2011

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
I never had an issue with Airplay and the iPad 2 but the iPhone 4 would often not recognize my apple tv. I would have to either reboot the phone or at minimum restart the ipod app in order to get it to recognize the apple tv. I'm happy to report that iOS 5's beta resolves that issue.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I never had an issue with Airplay and the iPad 2 but the iPhone 4 would often not recognize my apple tv. I would have to either reboot the phone or at minimum restart the ipod app in order to get it to recognize the apple tv. I'm happy to report that iOS 5's beta resolves that issue.

I have question, does I allow a mirror mode on the iPhone like on the iPad?

jim2011

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
I don't believe so, I haven't updated my AppleTV yet but I'm pretty sure it doesn't for the same reason that there is no mirroring via HDMI for iPhone.

superspartan

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2006

Airplay is so unstable for me on 4.3.x when trying to stream from my iPhone 4 to AirPort Express. If iOS5 fixes my problems, I'll be a very happy man. Restarting each time has become a major PITA.

There are large threads regarding Airplay issues impacting both the iPhone and iPad over at Apple Discussions. Let's hope Apple listened to our complaints.

jas1973

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2010
i can not get airplay to work at all on my airport express since the upgrade to ios5. works fine to the apple tv. never had a problem before the upgrade, but now it sees the express and says it is connected to it but no sound at all. just a minor bug im sure, because my ipad and ipdo still stream to it just fine on 4.3x

RockinRico

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2011
Belgium
Have the problems been solved with iOS 5? What kind of network equipment are you guys using?

I'm having a problem with an iPhone 4S's AirPlay for the Spotify app through a network with only Airport Extreme and a couple of Airport Expresses. I'm beginning to think that's it's the Spotify app that is doing something funky.

borisiii

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Have the problems been solved with iOS 5? What kind of network equipment are you guys using?

I had lots of problems with airplay in iOS 4 – it was so bad that I rarely used it – but I would say it is a lot more robust in iOS 5. My iPad was mostly ok with iOS 4 and is now perfect with iOS 5. My iPhone 4 was pretty much unusable, but my 4S works really well. I never updated my 4 to iOS 5 since I got a 4S on release day, so I don't know if iOS5 made a difference on the 4, but the combination of a 4S with iOS 5 works much better with airplay than a 4 running iOS 4.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Mirror mode is only for A5 chipped devices. It's a bit glitchy still.

HstephenG

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2012
Would you say getting a third party bluetooth device would be a good idea for when airplay is playing up?
Not the same I know but it seems here that airplay still has glitches.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.