AirPlay from iPhone to iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Ferdball, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Ferdball macrumors newbie

Why can't we use AirPlay to watch videos from our iPhones on an iMac? I have an AppleTV, but I don't want to send it that way. I have a 27" computer with a resolution that matches my iPhones video. Feature request?

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Because Airplay is a feature to stream things from your apple device to third party devices.

Just airdrop the file to your imac and play the file there it will be just as quick and have far less problems there is literally no benefit to running it from your phone when your iMac will do a far better job of playing it and have no issues with wifi streaming, bandwidth, buffering etc etc.

3. Koudspeel macrumors regular

Koudspeel

4. bassjunky macrumors regular

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure you can't Airdrop a file from your iOS device to your OSX device, correct? Who knows why, but I thought Airdrop only worked iOS to iOS or OSX to OSX.

5. cynics macrumors G4

You can airdrop from iOS to OS X and vise versa.

6. Ferdball thread starter macrumors newbie

7. cynics macrumors G4

Its found in finder, however AirDrop is in no way a replacement for AirPlay. Not sure why it was suggested.

8. Ferdball thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, AirDrop won't work all the time. Here's a use case: I want to show my kids a funny cat video that I found in Facebook. They don't have Facebook accounts, so we all huddle in front of my little iPhone6s. Now that I have this 5K thingy, I'd like to enjoy it on the Mac.

9. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Then log into Facebook on the mac, a few clicks of the mouse away, or use one of the programs to allow what you want to do that were helpfully posted above.

10. Ferdball thread starter macrumors newbie

11. Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

It only works with Bluetooth 4.0 and:

You need a 2012 or newer Mac model with OS X Yosemite or later, excluding the Mac Pro (Mid 2012)

and

iOS 7 or later
    • iPhone 5 or later
    • iPad Pro
    • iPad (4th generation) or later
    • iPad mini or later
    • iPod touch (5th generation) or later

12. bassjunky macrumors regular

Thanks for that explanation. I didn't think I was crazy as I could never get it to work from my iPhone to my 2011 iMac. This would explain why. It sucks, but now I realize the limitation.