Airplay from Mac to ATV Experience

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by d21mike, Sep 22, 2012.

1. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Last night I wanted to see the new Last Resort Pilot on my AppleTV via Hulu+ but could not find it. Went to my computer and it said Web Only. So for the first time I used Airplay on my Mac to play it. It worked very well (a bit surprised). The only problem was the menu bar on the top showed up once and I had to get rid of it and having to walk into the other room was a bit of a hassle but it worked. Maybe someday this Web Only situation will end.

2. macUser2007 macrumors 65832

AirPlay works fine for me, but mirroring high-bitrate video doesn't.

Trying to stream moderately high-bitrate video from Safari on a 2012 custom built optioned out Mac Book Air (2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, 512 GB) results in constant buffering on my Apple TV 3, with audio sync issues and often a frozen video frame with audio playing).

3. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

The ATV3 MUST be wired to the router to avoid buffering. I've benchmarked its Wi-Fi unit and found out that it's way worse than that of even the iPad 3.

4. Mrbobb, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012

Mrbobb macrumors 601

Now u folks doing this stuff, you realize that...

U viewing something form the Internet: Router -> Macbook [WIFI useage#1]

U stream Macbook -> Router [WIFI usage#2]

Then Router streams to ATV [WIFI usage#3]

Every one of those usage use up a little of the available WIFI bandwidth.

Now usage#2 cannot be avoid it. Usage#1, if you can PRE-Load whatever you are viewing from the Internet, probly unavoidable too. But Usage#3 can be cut entirely if you hook up a CAT5 cable between router and ATV and I certainly recommend doing that.

5. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Yup, theoretically, it should use little bandwidth. However, even that (comparatively) low traffic makes the ATV3 buffer for VERY long. Its Wi-Fi unit seems to be pretty much messed up...

6. d21mike thread starter macrumors 68040

d21mike

All of my fixed location devices are hardwired (ATV's and Mac Desktop). Only my iPhone's and iPad's are WiFi.