Airplay from NAS

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Billenium_uk, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Billenium_uk macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm currently looking at upgrading my audio set up, moving my iTunes library onto a NAS running an iTunes server and purchasing the following airplay hifi CMT-G2BNiP (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-CMTG2BNIP-Hi-Fi-Sound-System/dp/B005TOE3X2) so that I can then stream my music collection using airplay. Ive yet to decide what NAS to purchase but it will be one with an iTunes server so that i can share the library(any NAS recommendations would be appreciated)

My main question is, is it is possible to access the library stored on the NAS without having a PC running? i.e is it possible to stream music directly from the NAS? Ive read various forums etc but struggling to find a conclusive answer so would be grateful for some advice.

Thanks

Bill.

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

Didn't you say that your NAS would have an iTunes server? If your NAS can make itself "look" like it is running iTunes then you don't need another computer running iTunes.

Do be sure to watch out for cheap NAS boxes that have poor performance. All the low cost ones are like that. For decent performance they need a reasonable powerful CPU and hence they are not cheap. You can buy an older used Mac Mini for the price of a good NAS. then you attach a normal firewire external disk and run iTunes on the Mini. I think you can find a $300 mini if you look.

3. blueroom, Dec 7, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2011

blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

The Synology NAS's can do AirPlay but it's a very basic web or iOS app interface (nothing like iTunes or the awesome Remote app). As a bonus they don't act as AirPlay audio playback units with an optional USB to audio dongle. DSM3.2

4. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

How does synology do airplay?

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I bought a USB audio adapter (Creative Live!) and alas it doesn't show up as an AirPlay player. You can use the Audio player but that's a very basic music player (it does see AirPlay devices though).

So no it doesn't appear to work as a playback device for AirPlay. DSM3.2