Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

sap12690

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
I was trying to airplay from my retina macbook pro to my Apple TV and it worked amazingly... my only problem is it did not do sound. Is it supposed to work with sound? I was trying to watch a Hulu show thats only available to watch on the computer and not Apple TV. The video came up fine on the Apple TV but the sound was only coming out of the macbook and not through the TV :(

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
Try holding down the Option key and left-clicking the volume icon on your menu bar. Then select Apple TV as your output source.

EDIT: Oops, slow to the draw. You can still hold down the Option key and click on the volume icon though, it's a shortcut

Comment

BigMacAttack1

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2013
Bellingham, WA
If those suggestions don't work, try updating the ATV software and restarting your computer. I had the same issue last night and that worked for me. Good luck!

Comment

trombo22

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2013
The option-click the sound icon is to select which speakers, if that does not work restart computer. I use this often and this random happens to me as well, I haven't been able to pinpoint what causes it to not allow me to select apple tv for audio.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.