AirPlay Hacking: Streaming to Linux and Windows, DVD Streaming, and More

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Over the past couple of weeks, we've covered Erica Sadun's efforts at extending AirPlay video streaming functionality with AirPlayer, which allows users to stream content from iOS devices to Macs, and AirFlick, which offers the ability to stream video from Macs to the new Apple TV. While the tools are only very alpha versions, they demonstrate how Apple and third-parties could extend AirPlay functionality.

Sadun and others haven't stopped there, however, with new proof-of-concept demonstrations arriving showing AirPlay functioning in a wide variety of environments not officially supported by Apple. Among the interesting developements:

- AirPlay comes to Linux: An installation of the open-source XBMC media player on Linux running an AirPlay service allowing iOS devices to stream to computers running Linux.

- AVI files on the Apple TV: Utilizing the resources of Air Video Server, Sadun was able to stream live-transcoded AVI files from her Mac to the new Apple TV, eliminating the need to convert such files to iTunes-friendly formats.

- Streaming DVDs to the Apple TV: Using VLC, AirFlick, and a bit of command-line tweaking, Erick van Rijk and Sadun have demonstrated how to stream DVD content from a Mac to the new Apple TV. While certainly not a one-click solution at this point, the demonstration shows the wide variety of media that can be converted for AirPlay streaming.

- Screencasting a Mac to Apple TV: While the result is a bit blurry and demonstrates significant lag, video of a Mac's screen can be streamed to an Apple TV for display. The technique uses a similar VLC trick to that used to stream DVDs.

- AirPlay for Windows: In the same vein as Sadun's AirPlayer for Mac, Apostolos Georgiadis has released AirMediaPlayer for Windows to allow iOS devices to stream content to Windows PCs.

Article Link: AirPlay Hacking: Streaming to Linux and Windows, DVD Streaming, and More

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
How to stream iTunes and movies (from VLC or quicktime) to my iPad.
Air Video. I've been using it for a year. Fantastic stuff. I store no video locally on my iPad or iPhone 4.

Isn't there a free solution? Hack for this?
It's $2.99, no recurring fee, and it blows away any free solution. It transcodes your media on the fly so that you can even stream DivX/MKV/OGM/etc to your iPhone and iPad.

Seriously, don't give the $2.99 a second thought.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dorfdad

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Problem with all these is that when you push from the iphone / ipad to your apple tv you don't get native resolution. So pushing a iphone sized video to your 57 plasma looks like crap.

ksgant

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
it's cool and all they're playing around with this...but it seems like they're just doing things to just do them with no practical use on some of the things.

I mean, what's next? "DUDE, we can hack our DVD player to stream to the iPad and from the iPad we can then use Airplay to stream that to the AppleTV to show the DVD on the TV!!!! Hang on, let me unhook the DVD player from the TV". :D

Still, it's a cool project and I'm sure they'll nail it all down.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
it's cool and all they're playing around with this...but it seems like they're just doing things to just do them with no practical use on some of the things.

I mean, what's next? "DUDE, we can hack our DVD player to stream to the iPad and from the iPad we can then use Airplay to stream that to the AppleTV to show the DVD on the TV!!!! Hang on, let me unhook the DVD player from the TV". :D

Still, it's a cool project and I'm sure they'll nail it all down.
But does it go down to 5 levels of dreams? ;)

Yeah, it's pretty impractical.

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
Great. I was hoping for widespread support for the protocol...
Hopefully streaming anything anywhere will "just work".

Kan-O-Z

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2007
Problem with all these is that when you push from the iphone / ipad to your apple tv you don't get native resolution. So pushing a iphone sized video to your 57 plasma looks like crap.
Not necessarily. If you rent a movie from iTunes on your iphone and then stream it to the Apple TV, it's the same as renting directly on Apple TV (non-HD version). Apple does not downgrade movie resolution, it's the same movie no matter what device.

Of course if you are talking about videos that you have created and have sized them for your iphone, yes what you say is true.

Kan-O-Z

tctony

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Screencasting is what I want.

If I had the ability to eliminate the VGA/HDMI and audio cables to setup the tv as a second monitor, I would buy the AppleTV in an instant.

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
Screencasting is what I want.

If I had the ability to eliminate the VGA/HDMI and audio cables to setup the tv as a second monitor, I would buy the AppleTV in an instant.
Now that would be sexy, wouldn't it? I want Apple to take this really far and implement it OS wide.

Misterioso

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2005
No offense to Erica, but do you have ADD or something?

You seem to be on to something here but too caught up in the little no one cares stuff and not focusing on the, holy crap, this has a lot of potential stuff.

If you could come up with a decent solution (an extension) to stream videos from Safari to an Apple TV you would hit the jackpot. And the strange thing is, it seems as if you are already pretty close and that you have figured out the hard part. The same thing goes for the screen casting. if you could figure out how to create a screen casting app that would stream to the Apple TV you would have a hit on your hands.

All these demos aren't all that impressive, what was impressive was the initial demo of streaming videos outside of iTunes format with real time transcoding.

With the app store coming out the first week of january it seems like you have a golden opportunity to make a fortune if you can focus and create a decent app that builds upon this discovery.... assuming Apple would approve it of course.

Again, not trying to be an ass, but I don't think anyone cares how many ways you can hack the same tech demo into doing different things. Just focus on something that people want and have a demand for and make it good. I would pay for a Safari plug-in, or anything that would allow me to stream ESPN3 or MLB.TV to the Apple TV.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
All any of that will do is cause Apple to play the same game they did with Palm. They'll update their code on both ends to stop people from streaming to things like Linux (which they hate) and the hackers will hack back and it'll be a flipping nightmare for consumers getting tiny useless updates all the time that do nothing but stop people from doing what they want with a feature.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Can't wait to get my Apple Tv this stuff looks sweet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.