AirPlay HDMI Dongle

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Fizzy77, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Fizzy77 macrumors newbie

Can anyone recommend a AirPlay compatible HDMI dongle (like the Chromecast wotnot)?

I go for a Apple TV but all I want it for is mirroring iPad or MacBook screens. I have a smart TV and a an XBox so don't need to replicate most of those features again with another device.

I've looked on Amazon and done a bit of googling but cant find anything I'm confident will actually work.

Also, a small HDMI dongle would be a bit more portable and neater when connected to my TV as it's all wall mounted with hidden cables.

2. cardsdoc macrumors 6502

3. Fizzy77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Or AirPlay server on Mac, or one of these cheap Chinese dongles like EZcast. I just wondered what they were like in practice.

4. l3it3r macrumors regular

l3it3r

I've used all the 'dongles' and other boxes, you're really just better off with an Apple TV :apple:

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

you can mount the aTV behind the TV, most people get good reception on the remote if the front of the aTV is facing down the wall under the TV.

6. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

My friend is using the EZ-cast dongle in her classroom. Results seem quite mixed. It's presumably quite stable in her classroom, yet when she tries to demo it to us during meeting times, the connection keeps dropping.

Either way, it's cheap for what you get, and pretty small and portable, being just a dongle that's powered by a USB cable and all. But if you really want stability, I feel there's no substitute for an Apple TV.