Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
Can somebody with a HomePod please confirm the following..

AirPlay some music using from an iPad or iPhone to your HomePod.

Pause or stop the music for 5 minutes then resume.

Does the music continue to play through the HomePod or has AirPlay dropped the connection and the music now plays through the iPhone or iPad?

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
Hmmm

Currently I have an iPad connected permanently via BT to some speakers in my kitchen for a music system.

The iPad never turns off and the BT connection never drops. Even after weeks.

I was thinking of getting 2 HomePods but I don’t think AirPlay will remain permanently connected if I don’t play music for days on end.

I don’t want to have to reconnect AirPlay each time I resume.

clg82

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2010
Southern California
Hmmm

Currently I have an iPad connected permanently via BT to some speakers in my kitchen for a music system.

The iPad never turns off and the BT connection never drops. Even after weeks.

I was thinking of getting 2 HomePods but I don’t think AirPlay will remain permanently connected if I don’t play music for days on end.

I don’t want to have to reconnect AirPlay each time I resume.

Jeesh, is pushing a couple of buttons on the iPad really that tedious to get it playing on the homepod again?

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
Yes if I have to do it after 30 minutes etc. Currently anybody in the house presses play and the music plays, even if nobody had played music for days.

I’m not harassed every time somebody wants to play music and I have to tell them how to reconnect to AirPlay, so yes it is an issue for ME.

That’s why I’m asking here. If it’s an issue I just stick with what I’ve got.

Reactions: afir93

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
What is your source of music? If it’s Apple Music you can do what you are looking for, the iPad would basically be a remote but the music will be going to the HomePod not through the iPad. My ipad stay connected even after closing and reopening the music app.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Jeesh, is pushing a couple of buttons on the iPad really that tedious to get it playing on the homepod again?

What’s definitely not ok in 2018 is to have to re-establish the connection to your smart speaker multiple times a week.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Unfortunately while AirPlay offers better quality (lossless compression), further range, and a lot of other features like video, screen mirroring, etc it does rely on wifi. iOS devices wifi radio enters a power save mode of some sort (WoWLAN basically) when the device sleeps for power conservation. If the AirPlay becomes inactive and device falls asleep the wifi will drop for the most part so when you wake it up the AirPlay connection will need to be reestablished.

Reactions: afir93

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
Thank you for your comprehensive reply.

I think I’ll just stick to my existing setup.

Who knows one day Apple may enable BT on the HomePod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.