Airplay Icon missing??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by davidjacobs21, Jan 21, 2011.

1. davidjacobs21 macrumors regular

So i have an apple tv and when i connect my phone to wifi and want to push some music or photos to my apple tv, the icon is missing. The only way i can get it to reappear is reset the phone. Is there any setting that im missing that should put it there all the time

Thanks

2. err404 macrumors 68020

The issue is probably your network, not a setting on the iDevices. The phone is looking for AirPlay devices via Bonjour. You may need to give it more time to broadcast. Are the two devices connected via the same router? If there is a hop in between it may have issues negotiating. I'd also recommend checking for firmware updates on the router.

3. davidjacobs21 thread starter macrumors regular

Both my iphone and apple tv are both getting a signal from the same router on the same network, so not sure what the problem might be. When i restart the phone it shows up, which is wierd. It did the same thing in the apple store when i borught my apple tv in to be looked at for a different problem

4. Krandor macrumors 6502

Airplay currently seems to be a bit unrealiable at times. I have run into the same thing you have and the only real answer is a reboot. After a reboot it should show the airplay icon fine. Hopefully 4.3 or 5.0 will improve the reliability of airplay.

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Same here.

6. prestomusic macrumors regular

yep it's definitely a bug, reboot fixes it but what a pain to do it each time!

7. William Tobey macrumors newbie

Had a bit of a rummage around the net. Found someone who claimed that setting their router transmit/receive mode from a b/g mix to transmit/receive in g only fixed the problem for them. Mine was set for b/g so I've set it to g only. It's only been a day but I'll report what I find. I find that my airplay icon will sometimes behave itself for days before disappearing. So this may be a long winded test.

What mode are you guys running your router?

8. MacDaddy80 macrumors member

What i have noticed is that it runs better on n routers. Make sure you have the current firmware on your router and your iOS devices

9. William Tobey macrumors newbie

Well it's now been over 5 days and my Airplay icon has not disappeared once off either my iphone or my wife's. It normally would have by now. Touch wood, but I think this is the answer to the problem.