Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

himanshuvohra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2012
Hey friends, was just curious will it be possible to connect my macbook pro( on osx mountain lion) to my apply tv....because that is the only feature i was looking forward to.

jabbawok

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2004
Worcestershire
That's the idea. You can mirror your MacBook's desktop to a TV screen with an Apple TV 2 or 3. I think apple have limited support to newer MacBooks. I haven't an Apple TV and I'm only running 10.8 on my MacPro, not my MacBook Air, so I cant test the theory.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
Because it mirrors the screen, if your laptop doesn't display a 16:9 resolution, it won't fill the TV correctly (assuming a 16:9 TV). To me, this makes it worthless - using a MBA 13", the picture has black bars all around it and if I adjust the TV to fill at least part of the screen the image quality is shot.

This is just my experience so far. Hopefully at release you can just output to the TV or use it as a second monitor with the native TV resolution.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
My question is whether there are separate system requirements for AirPlay in 10.8 that are separate from the general system requirements? I recall a feature like AirPlay on Windows laptops in the past and it required specific Intel processors. I have a 2010 13" MBP with a C2D processor.

Yes, you need a 2011 Mac or later - basically an i3, 5 ,or 7.

Dodgeroo

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2010
And yet Air Parrot manages on a Core 2 Duo. But then they aren't trying to sell new hardware.

ronaldr32

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2012
Can i airplay just a certain window i have up? Ie; Airplay a video in the background and still be using safari?

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
My question is whether there are separate system requirements for AirPlay in 10.8 that are separate from the general system requirements? I recall a feature like AirPlay on Windows laptops in the past and it required specific Intel processors. I have a 2010 13" MBP with a C2D processor.
AirPlay requires a GPU with a Quick Sync hardware unit. AirPlay uses this unit to decode and encode the video in realtime.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Can i airplay just a certain window i have up? Ie; Airplay a video in the background and still be using safari?

That can be done on an app by app basis (assuming the developer supports it) and isn’t dependent on ML - the function that ML offers is wireless display mirroring. It’s not just airplay via an app.

The Apple TV already streams anything in iTunes so you have that. Other programs should be able to do airplay on their own. The system support is a specific feature for the desktop.

Last edited:

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
And yet Air Parrot manages on a Core 2 Duo. But then they aren't trying to sell new hardware.

I imagine Air Parrot is also using a completely different method than what Apple is using that doesn't exploit hardware that Apple stopped selling when they were developing this feature.

diandi

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2010
Airplay & Mac Pro

In the tech spec of Mountain Lion on Apple's website (http://www.apple.com/osx/specs/), the airplay compatible computers listed do not include any Mac Pro models. Anyone knows if this is just a stupid mistake on Apple's part or if it is indeed the case (I will be shocked if it is). Thanks.

• Angry
Reactions: Stenik

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
In the tech spec of Mountain Lion on Apple's website (http://www.apple.com/osx/specs/), the airplay compatible computers listed do not include any Mac Pro models. Anyone knows if this is just a stupid mistake on Apple's part or if it is indeed the case (I will be shocked if it is). Thanks.

No, its based on a specific series of intel processors, none of which is part of the Xeon processors used on even the last Mac Pro.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Thanks. That is too bad. I wonder why Apple could not make it compatible with Xeon processors. They even make it work with iPod and iPad.

It is based on how they implemented it - I think the iPads and iPhones have some sort of hardware that does the same thing.

BigDukeSix

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
34.6700N 118.1590W
So, do we think that Airplay will work in the following scenario: I pull up cbs.com on my Mini in order to watch a full episode of NCIS. I turn on Airplay so I can stream it to my Apple TV. I know cbs.com and several other websites will not work on my IOS devices due to the fact they need Flash. But, do you think that will also mean that it won't play to the Apple TV using Airplay? Thx in advance for your thoughts.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
So, do we think that Airplay will work in the following scenario: I pull up cbs.com on my Mini in order to watch a full episode of NCIS. I turn on Airplay so I can stream it to my Apple TV. I know cbs.com and several other websites will not work on my IOS devices due to the fact they need Flash. But, do you think that will also mean that it won't play to the Apple TV using Airplay? Thx in advance for your thoughts.

When you load up CBS.com you load it into the browser. Safari itself is not being mirrored - the whole system is. There is no way that CBS can interfere with things any more than they can control normal display mirroring. Not through the browser.

The problem you describe is the lack of API’s in certain apps in iOS. Airplay mirroring on iOS is implemented at the App Level. That is not the case for ML

shompa

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
I love Apple and their innovation. But their execution is very bad with Air mirroring.

Have installed latest 10.8 on 2 machines. A 2010 17inch Macbook Pro and a 2011 Macbook Air.

2010 17 inch is no-go. The Air mirroring icon does not show up. I can't mirror my desktop. If I use Itunes and Airplay it work flawless. But the whole idea with mirroring is that I dont have to use Itunes.

Macbook air: Since the resolution is less then 1920x1080, the TV is only 2/3 filled with picture. This is TYPICAL Apple.

Just like Ipad2/3 with HDMI/Air mirroring. It does not scale to the TV picture.

Apple have to fix scaling to TV to make this usefull.

As for Audio: Only way to get 5.1 audio is to rip the file into a ACC/MP4 file.

Why Apple.... WHYYYYYYY?

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
I love Apple and their innovation. But their execution is very bad with Air mirroring.

Have installed latest 10.8 on 2 machines. A 2010 17inch Macbook Pro and a 2011 Macbook Air.

2010 17 inch is no-go. The Air mirroring icon does not show up. I can't mirror my desktop. If I use Itunes and Airplay it work flawless. But the whole idea with mirroring is that I dont have to use Itunes.

Macbook air: Since the resolution is less then 1920x1080, the TV is only 2/3 filled with picture. This is TYPICAL Apple.

Just like Ipad2/3 with HDMI/Air mirroring. It does not scale to the TV picture.

Apple have to fix scaling to TV to make this usefull.

As for Audio: Only way to get 5.1 audio is to rip the file into a ACC/MP4 file.

Why Apple.... WHYYYYYYY?

Well, it scales now.
A new MacBook Air 11" with the GM mirrors its display to 1920 x 1080 on an Apple TV 3, and scales its own display to the same resolution, i.e. all icons become very small!

Very cool!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.