Airplay in your car

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jfoley89, Nov 25, 2013.

1. jfoley89 macrumors regular

2. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

I tried setting up Airplay in my car using an airport express (didn't watch the video). My biggest complaint was the amount of time it took for my Airport Express to power on to be able to use Airplay. For any trip less than a half hour it just wasn't worth the minute long boot time.

3. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

A possible alternative would be to just put a Raspberry Pi in the car. It only needs 5v @ 2A to power and can do AirPlay audio and video with the proper software.

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

there are chargers that have an aux out jack on the plug.(like this) (the dock/lightning adapter will work with these) (i haven't seen a lightening model yet).

with these, you just run a audio cable from that to the line in jack on your stereo to the cigarette plug which stays plugged in. the only thing you're plugging and unplugging is the one charging cable on your phone. And you're sending line level to your stereo which will help with distortion.

with the express, I would think your phone would try to use the internet coming from the express (which doesn't exist) instead of it's cellular radio. meaning your phone would be cut off from the network. so no pandora, itunes radio, or navigation updates. (it might work, not really sure without testing)

i have one that has play, back, and forward buttons on it, so you can easily control the music. i can't seem to find it, but here's one that has an FM transmitter in addition to the line out. i know the playback buttons will work with a lightning adapter, i don't know if the control app for the transmitter will work with the adapter though.

5. jfoley89 thread starter macrumors regular

In the video he says to change the setting on the express so it doesn't run as a router, only as a airplay device so your phone still uses it's own cellular, just he doesn't explain it in detail so I'm not sure about the settings to change.

6. priitv8, Nov 30, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2013

priitv8 macrumors 68030

AirPlay doesn't work over cellular! He still needs to use the express as wireless access point whereto iPhone can connect over wifi. All AirPlay devices need to be on the same LAN segment.
    Whether you keep routing enabled or not is irrelevant, as long as the WAN port of express is disconnected.
    But honestly: why use AirPlay (we're talking audio playback only, right?) when you could achieve the same result over BlueTooth?

7. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I've thought about his before, but realized how moronic the idea is for reasons someone else already said. Your phone would be trying to pull it's Internet connection from the Airport, though it can't because you're in your freaking car. >.<

8. boomdog macrumors regular

boomdog

Why would it be better to use Airplay over Bluetooth? Not trolling, just feel like I'm missing the point of the thread. I have a Bluetooth unit that has full access to my phone. I can select and play songs, select contacts and make calls and even route the silly lady/man from the sat nav through the stereo if I'm feeling remotely suicidal and want to push myself over the edge.

I always used to use a simply aux cable and control everything through the dash mounted phone but upgrade in car came with upgrade in tech so now wireless.

9. jfoley89 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm getting the feeling no one is actually watching the video or know something I don't.. You can create a network without having internet can you not? And you can turn the router mode on the airport off so your phone isn't trying to connect to a fake wifi signal right? So where is the problem with doing both of them and having a small phone to airport network that does not involve the phone trying to gain access through the airport and solely just sending music to it?

----------

And for the people who say use a jack or Bluetooth, the whole point is to eliminate cords cause it is annoying plugging and unplugging something every time you enter your vehicle. As for Bluetooth, apparently the music quality is severely reduced and a lot slower? Or so I've heard

10. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

I have not watched the video, however I do know from experience that you can use Airplay on an iOS device and still transfer data over cellular if you remove the Default Gateway from the IP address settings for the wireless network.

From what I have seen, if it does receive a Default Gateway from DHCP, the iOS device will attempt to use that as its Internet connection, and time out while doing so.

11. priitv8 macrumors 68030

All your points are valid, but as it was said earlier in this thread, by the time your AirPort Extreme boots in your car, you would be listening to music already over BT.
    Also, why mess with powering the 120V AC unit from your 12V DC car supply if you can install a proper (possibly BT) device intended for in-car use?
    As for quality or speed, I reckon the result will depend on how good a transmission the parties are able to negotiate: http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?t=1174148
    But these are my considerations obviously, YMMV.

12. boomdog macrumors regular

boomdog

Ah, okay, now I understand. Yeah, Bluetooth does come with a drop in quality unfortunately. It is just so convenient though!

13. jfoley89 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for understanding what I was trying to say

14. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

Any relatively recent car comes with integrated Bluetooth with A2DP profile, which is instantly on and works "out of the box". As to music quality "severely reduced" over Bluetooth - that's rubbish. I have compared the quality between BT and hardwired AUX inputs in my car (recent model Acura) - they is very little (if any) perceptible difference.

Personally, I think trying to rig up an AirPlay receiver in your car is insanity. Af example of an overcomplicated solution to a non-existent problem.

15. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

ok i will admit this is a really cool hack, but quite an expensive one considering. I use a cheap £5 fm transmitter which does the job perfectly fine, although quality could be better its more than adequate for my needs.

16. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Indeed. I would challenge anyone to do a "blind" test and proclaim that they can hear the difference.