Airplay issue on ATV causing Internet to go down

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Vctr, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Vctr macrumors regular

Just got an Apple TV and I've been loving it so far ... except for this weird issue where it will drop my internet connection when I airplay content over to it. Has anybody else experienced this?

It happens when I airplay content to it from my Macbook and/or my iPad ... and usually drops about 10-15 mins into whatever I'm watching. The fix is easy enough as all it takes is a simple replug of my router to get my internet back up, but its kind of a pain in the butt if you ask me.

My actual internet connection is pretty average (10 Mbps up and down) so I don't think its my internet speed. So I guess this means its my router's fault? My router is an average 802.11n Cisco router, which I figured would be good enough.

Let me know what yall think.

2. fridgeymonster3 macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

Airplay has nothing to do with your internet speed, only your wireless network speed. How is your wireless signal from your Macbook/iPad when you start playing the video? When you say internet connection, do you mean that your entire wireless network drops (meaning you cannot access the internet from any device)? Or do you mean that the wireless connection between your airplay device and the ATV drops?

3. Mrbobb macrumors 601

^+1.

Patient is not providing enough relevant information for a diagnostic.

4. Vctr thread starter macrumors regular

My entire wireless network goes down ... so every other device on the network is unable to access the internet. All it takes is a replug of the router for the internet to come back up.

I thought I read somewhere that Airplay does use internet bandwidth ... So if it indeed doesn't, then its gotta be my router crapping out because of all of the bandwidth going through it. Time for a new router for me?

5. anush3 macrumors member

Did u setup N wifi or G, looks like airplay is using all bandwidth that your router can support. does router starts behaving fine if you stop airplay or u need to restart it ? if u need to restart, router's fault, in other case try N network. Remember Airplay has nothing to do with ur Internet speed, you can airplay even when you dont have internet connection.

6. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I have experienced issues like this too. It's almost like Airplay is overwhelming the router and it just shuts down or locks up. In my case, it would come back by itself after a few minutes but I did sometimes reset it too.

Unfortunately I don't have any easy answers for you -- I solved my issue by buying a new router that's dual-band N capable, and setting as many of my devices as possible to use the 5 GHz band. There are a lot of wifi networks in my neighborhood so I figured maybe the crowded 2.4 GHz band was adding to the problem...

7. fridgeymonster3 macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

What kind of router do you have? Also, what is the signal strength from the location you are trying to use Airplay? If you have a Mac computer in that location, you can download iStumbler and see the signal strength of your network, along with neighboring networks that might be causing interference.

8. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Sometimes, it's as simple as using another channel.

9. Vctr thread starter macrumors regular

Just looked up the specs on my Linksys router and its actually an 802.11g router and not an 802.11n. I'm thinking this is the problem ... the router can't support all of the bandwidth. I guess its time for me to buy a new router ... I appreciate the replies guys!