AirPlay issues FYI

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bkitchen0406, Apr 3, 2012.

1. bkitchen0406 macrumors member

I found out you may have to disable Mac filtering on your router to get AirPlay to work. Thats what I had to do for my airport express, apples website recommends it. This really sucks for me because I live in an apartment and as soon as I do that someone try's to crack my network, so I can't use AirPlay.

----------

With the Mac filtering is turned off I can AirPlay games from my iPad, when it's turned on it fails.

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Just use WPA2 encryption. MAC filtering is pretty worthless, anyway.

3. bkitchen0406 thread starter macrumors member

No it's not, they can crack a wpa2, heck anyone can crack that. I work for an ISP, Mac filtering is not worthless, that's the strongest security you can get on a residential crap router, it's almost an ACL.

I have been using wpa2

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'm using WPA2 and it works fine for me. Maybe reboot your router and re-set your PRAM. on you Mac.

5. bkitchen0406 thread starter macrumors member

I give up, I don't think anyone replying understands wireless encryption technology here, but then again I do this for a living. I just posted this to help others having the same problem.

6. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Dumb question, but the MAC address of the iPad is on the authorized list, right? :cool:

I wonder if this is an Apple router thing, or if this is a MAC filtering thing in general that affects other routers?

How effective do you think not broadcasting your SSID would be instead of doing MAC filtering?

7. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I use WPA2 encryption, don't broadcast my SSID, and use MAC filtering and Airplay works perfectly fine.

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

What brand/model router?

9. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Time Capsule

10. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

First time I am hearing about it.

I use a iPad 2 and 3 over WPA2 WiFi to an Airport Extreme with Mac Filtering enabled over to a new Apple TV with no problems.

The Apple TV is hard wired to the Airport Extreme, not using WiFI for that.
    But if you do make sure to add the Apple TV mac address to the filter list.

11. bkitchen0406 thread starter macrumors member

You are right that I could turn off broadcasting, the reason I turn it on is because of my wife, for some reason she has trouble connecting her kindle 3G. If I was single it would be off.

I was wondering if my airport express did not have the CPU processing power to handle Mac filtering and airplay. That is just a guess.

The apple website does not say turn off Mac filter on airports, but routers in general. It really makes you wonder.

----------

Does anyone use Mac filtering with an airport express.

12. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

time to ditch the wife, because that's what I would do if AirPlay stopped working. ;)

13. bkitchen0406 thread starter macrumors member

Haha, my friends at work would say the same thing.

14. FrancoisC, Apr 3, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2012

FrancoisC macrumors 6502

FrancoisC

15. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

Filtering is Not useless.
    Like not broadcasting your SSID its just another layer of defense.

16. Senseotech macrumors 6502a

Senseotech

Until I sniff a valid, whitelisted MAC address and spoof it, allowing access to your network. And before you say you're using it in combination with an encryption standard, why use address filtering if you're using WPA2? WPA2 is harder to crack than your filtering, so its a useless redundancy. And if you're using WEP or WPA, then you need to just abandon this thread right now.

17. eq2675, Apr 3, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2012

eq2675 macrumors regular

Prove it! Please provide a web link that gives step by step instructions on how to crack WPA / WPA2 without using brute force. My pass code is 63 random characters. I use it on all my WiFi including Apple TV, AirPlay, and Roku.

Here are the first 31 characters of my key

wWE1h$+T3@XN?M-DCwJ8GEr#E7+W7GF

I'm calling your bluff

18. erawsd macrumors 6502

WPA2 hasn't been hacked, but a firmware exploit has been discovered that causes most consumer grade router to hand over the password.

That said, it doesn't effect all routers and it can be fixed on others. I do agree that mac filtering is pretty useless, if someone can hacked your WPA2 pass, then mac filtering is not going to stop them.

19. eq2675 macrumors regular

My WAN IP is 66.32.211.3 until 3:45 AM EDT tonight. At that time the WRT54GL does a reboot and gets another IP. Here is another hint. I'm running HyperWRT 2.1b1 +ToFu 13c. It's just the best $59 router money can buy.

There are several ports open, so somebody crack me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Senseotech macrumors 6502a

Senseotech

A crack over the internet has ZERO to do with Wifi encryption strength...