Airplay itunes vs mirroring

zefff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2011
Canada
I'm looking to get the smoothest video playback from my mbpr via atv (which is connected by ethernet) to my hdtv. I've used airplay mirroring a couple times and it's great, but the video is less fluid than I'd like.
So that lead me to wonder- if I have a .avi, would I have better results converting it to mp4 so that itunes can send it directly to my atv?

Last edited:

zefff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2011
Canada
Essentially, I'm wondering what is better: mp4 in my mbp itunes/apple tv
OR mirroring (let's say vlc) on my mbp via airplay.
Does playing the file in itunes offer better quality? Is it because mirroring requires too much processing?

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Essentially, I'm wondering what is better: mp4 in my mbp itunes/apple tv
OR mirroring (let's say vlc) on my mbp via airplay.
Does playing the file in itunes offer better quality? Is it because mirroring requires too much processing?
Airplay from iTunes is undeniably better. Mirroring still needs some time for technology to advance more before it can be as fluid as it is through cables.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
Airplay from iTunes is undeniably better.
This.

Mirroring has to take a fully decompressed image and send it over the network to be displayed on the Apple TV. Playing via Airplay sends the compressed data to the Apple TV where it decompresses the data and renders the image locally. Display mirroring (whether via an Apple TV, Chromecast, or whatever) remains a poor substitute.

A.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.