Airplay lag, alternative way to set up

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by DrPips, Jan 24, 2014.

1. DrPips macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I currently have an airport express plugged into my home cinema, playing music from itunes match, controlled from my iphone or ipad. The AE is plugged in behind the TV and nearby is a NAS (Mybook live) with plenty of capacity and my router and modem.

Whenever I play music, I get lag every couple of minutes or so, probably because I'm streaming from itunes match, but I don't know of a better way to set it up, although there's bound to be one!

My itunes library is stored on a laptop, but there is space on the NAS as well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dom

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Music should not lag, so you probably have interference somewhere.

Try getting all devices on ethernet and test?

3. DaPhatty macrumors member

This. This should always be your starting point. Wifi is always susceptible to interference so using ethernet cables wherever possible will mitigate issues like yours.

4. DrPips thread starter macrumors newbie

I did have an ethernet cable from the Airport Express to the router, but it will still lagging. I think this is because it is using itunes match to download the song at the same time as streaming. What I'd like to do is have the Airport Express access the music stored on the Mybook Live, but I don't know how to do this.

Dom

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

what exactly do you mean by lagging?
    dropping out? where the music stops or pauses for a few seconds, is it mid song? or takes a while to start a new song.
    or delay? as in the music doesn't match up to something else.

how are you playing your music?
    • on the phone using home sharing pointed at your itunes library on the computer.
    • on the phone and using local storage on the phone.
    • on the computer (possibly using the remote app on your phone to control it).

you can't play anything directly from the express, you have to use one of the methods above.

is there a lot of network traffic?
    large amounts of downloading?
    time machine backups going over the network?

6. DrPips thread starter macrumors newbie

Lag as in stops every minute or so for a few seconds.

I'm not using any of those methods. My iphone is using iTunes Match and downloading the selected song on the fly and playing it. I don't want it to do this, I want it to access the network backup which is on the NAS right next to the airport express. However I don't want to have to turn off iTunes Match all the time because I use it in the car (where it works perfectly strangely enough)

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If iTunes on your computer already contains your media

1. Turn on iTunes sharing
    2. Use iTunes remote on your iPhone to play computer -> Airport Express

8. DrPips thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there anyway to get iTunes remote to play from the NAS (mybook live) as my computer is in a different room and not always on.

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

That's not lag. Lag is a delay. Your music is getting interrupted and/or is buffering/rebuffering for some reason.