airplay mirroring lag while airplay doesn't

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by kick53rv3, Apr 24, 2015.

1. kick53rv3 macrumors newbie

i normally play dvd/blurays through ps3/xbox one but recently i came across some region 2 dvds of big bang theory, as I am in the US the ps3 and xbox wont play these dvds and I have to use my mbp to stream it to appletv to watch it on tv. I would like to avoid moving the mac to be next to the tv (room configuration) to use HDMI.

as far as I know dvds cannot be airplayed to appletv, so I did mirroring while it is playing on vlc. there was significant lag to it. this always seems to happen when i mirror videos. If I handbrake it into an mp4 then stream to appletv it works perfectly, but spending 20min to handbrake a 20min episode seemed super counter intuitive.

any other solutions to help me watch these dvds?

2. cynics macrumors G3

There is a lot higher bandwidth requirements on top of no significant buffering when mirroring. I'm assuming the video and audio is stuttering? Tell us about your local network.

3. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Have you tried Beamer?
    But in a nutshell, also Beamer needs to recode DVD video on the fly (because DVD-s are MPEG-2 and :apple:TV only likes MPEG-4), so the capabilities of your CPU will play a role.
    You can preview Beamer for free, it will limit your movie enjoyment to 15 minutes, that's it.

4. silvetti macrumors 6502a

silvetti

I have the same issue as him.

Apple TV 3rd gen connected via ethernet cable to Apple Airport Extreme (last gen), airplay mirroring from iMac 27 Late 2013 via Wifi (5Ghz, showing 1300Mbps on wireless stats).

Mac is sitting 2 meters from the router.