Airplay mirroring with dual displays?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by luma, Jan 29, 2014.

1. luma macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm organizing an event in March and I'm thinking about using two televisions as info monitors. Before I go and buy an AppleTV, I'd like to know if my plans would actually work. Here's the setup I'm thinking about:

- Macbook Air (Mid 2011), OS X Mavericks
    - a 40" TV connected directly to the MBA
    - another 40" TV connected to an AppleTV.

I'd like to have the same stuff on both TVs but not the MBA's built-in screen, so that I could still use it to do things. Basically, built-in screen as display 1 and both TVs as display 2.

Is this kind of a setup possible?

2. rhp2424 macrumors regular

rhp2424

Are both 40" televisions within wiring distance of the computer or each other? Or were you putting the Apple TV in the mix because you needed the wireless access to a second monitor?

3. luma thread starter macrumors newbie

I need the wireless access to put the second monitor some distance away from the first.

4. luma thread starter macrumors newbie

5. AcesHigh87, Feb 3, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2014

AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

I’ve got an apple TV, an external monitor (stand in for your TV connected to the mac) and my iMac. I’ll do some testing for you. Give me a few minutes and I’ll come back with results.

Edit:

Alright, I ran a quick test and your plan WILL work. What you have to do is this:

1) Connect TV 1 directly to your mac. I assume you have an adapter for this already.
    2) Connect TV 2 to apple TV.
    3) On your Mac, Select Connect to Airplay Display -> Apple TV.
    4) Go back to where you selected that from the toolbar and select “Mirror Display 2”. The wording there might be slightly different because mine comes up as the actual name of my monitor but you’ll see what I mean.

That’s it. By default the Apple TV will mirror both your displays, giving you the same image on all 3, but if you Select the Mirror Display 2 option then the apple TV will only mirror things on your second monitor, aka TV 1, leaving you free to do as you wish on your mac and then drag stuff over to TV one to send it to the apple TV.

Hopefully that makes sense, I’m here if you have any questions.

6. luma thread starter macrumors newbie