Airplay mirroring without a display attached?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by FredT2, Jul 26, 2012.

1. FredT2 macrumors 6502

It doesn't seem to work. I have a Mac Mini that I use as a media server that sits in a closet without a display. My hope was that I could Airplay mirror from it, but I cannot get it to work. When I select an Apple TV in display preferences, Airplay mirroring briefly shows "No Devices Detected" and then reverts to "Off". I verified that it works when I do attach a monitor. Does anyone know of a workaround, such as fooling the Mini into thinking that it has a display attached?

2. FredT2 thread starter macrumors 6502

3. P4G macrumors newbie

I have the same problem - looks like you have to have a monitor attached and turned on to mirror. Looks like they designed it for MBPs and MBAs :(

4. qCzar macrumors regular

You could try plugging in an HDMI cable and not plugging the cable into a monitor. I recall reading that this trick helped get other resolutions when screen sharing or under VNC.

Can not confirm it works, though.

5. FredT2 thread starter macrumors 6502

I gave that a try. From the Mac it looked like it was working, but nothing but garbage showed up on the TV. I guess I'll give the Gefen device a try.

6. P4G macrumors newbie

unplugged hdmi cable didnt work for me either.

7. qCzar macrumors regular

For $130? I'd make sure you get familiar with their return policy or see if they can test it for you first. That's just an awful lot (in my opinion) on a guess. But, it reads like it'll work. I'm interested in your results, as I was hoping to do the same thing with my Mini some time after I have ML installed.

8. macklos macrumors member

macklos

do a search on how to make a vga dummy plug. cheap!