AirPlay Mirroring without Television

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by greatconcavity, Sep 29, 2013.

1. greatconcavity macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

i'm pondering a rather obscure question: I want to Airplay Mirror the content of my MBA to the Apple TV, but without a television attached to the Apple TV, effectively just "mirroring" the audio (via optical output).
    So my setup would be like this:
    MBA -> Apple TV -> optical cable only (no HDMI) -> DAC/stereo.

Is this possible? This way I could not only stream music from iTunes to my stereo, but also music that is played on Youtube/Vimeo etc.

Thanks!

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

you can choose airplay devices as sound output in system prefrences.

there is also a program called airfoil that will let you pick one program to send audio from, it leaves everything else on your mac's speakers.

the only downside to this is a 2 second delay when doing this, so trying to watch videos doesn't work well.
    these both work with all airplay speakers including the airport express and appleTV.

----
    you can use an aTV without a television, but you need one for setup.

3. greatconcavity thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your quick reply!
    This looks good, and thanks for pointing out that I'll need a television for ATV setup, as I won't always have a television around.

4. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

I use Airfoil to stream audio to my AppleTV with the TV turned of all the time. Works great.