AirPlay - music drops and plays thru iPhone speaker

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by GM1980, Feb 25, 2015.

1. GM1980 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Every so often (maybe about once every 90 minutes or so), when I am streaming music on AirPlay from iPhone 6 Plus using iOS 8 to ATV 3, the AirPlay will drop out and the audio will play through the phone speaker. I need to select AirPlay again.

My ATV is wired to my router. Router is about 2 years old.

I am not using the phone at the time, and it doesn’t seem that the dropouts coincide with emails, messages being received etc.

All software is up to date and no other devices are trying to access the system, as far as I am aware (although I have a Sky+ box connected wirelessly which may talking to the router I suppose)

I'm just wondering if there is any way to increase the reliability to avoid these dropouts, or is this just the nature of the AirPlay system? Any advice or thoughts welcome.

Thanks,

Greg

2. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

I have been experiencing the same thing with an iPhone 4 running iOS 7 streaming to an Airport Express. Maybe the wifi router is to blame in these situations.

Anyway, if the problem persist, an alternative is to use the Remote app on the phone and stream music from your PC or Mac to the Apple TV.

3. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Sounds like a problem with the router. Standard ISP routers arent usually 100% reliable. Thats why i upgraded to a stand alone wifi access point. I use that instead of the wifi on my verizon router and it works much better. No problems with airplay usually

4. GM1980 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks both. I find it strange because it never happens when streaming from Spotify, only from the native Music app playing tracks stored on the iPhone which I thought would be more reliable.

Also seems that the native music app is less responsive than Spotify - the Play/Pause buttons sometimes sticking and so on.

Will have a look at either changing router or the stand alone Wifi point.

5. pn247 macrumors newbie

Fixed with iOS 8.2?

I had some strange issues on iOS8-8.1 too, with drops etc.
    Since 8.2 it has really improved.
    Has it got better for you too since?

6. GM1980 thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't notice much of a difference between 8.1.1 and 8.2, but it has got more reliable now that I've started enabling Bluetooth on the device to use peer-to-peer AirPlay.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=20940021

Cheers
    Greg