Airplay music from iPad (or iPhone) back to main computer speakers

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ayale99, Dec 7, 2010.

1. ayale99 macrumors 6502

First off, I love Airplay and the ability to have my music "follow" me around the house. But here's one issue.

Let's say I've got:
    1. An ATV2 in the basement
    2. An Airport Express in the living room
    3. My MBP with speakers in the den.

I can Airplay music from my iPad to speakers connected to the ATV2 or the Airport Express.

But...I cannot push music from the iPad back to my MBP with connected speakers.

Sometimes I'll have Pandora streaming on the iPad and I'd like to push it to speakers connected to the MBP, when I'm not using my computer.

Anybody else run into this issue?

2. nalk7 macrumors regular

When not using pandora, you could just use the remote app and push the music from your computer to whatever other speakers you'd like :)

3. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

+1 on that. Technically its playing the file from your computer but it doesn't matter as whatever music you have on your iPad syncs from it anyway :) and the interface is very similar to the built in iPod app

4. PhazonUK macrumors 6502

I'd be interested in doing this actually. Main reason is because ever since 4.2.1 or iTunes 10.1, my podcasts haven't been syncing properly. I'll listen to half a podcast on my iPad, iPhone or MacBook and then sync them but it will just reset where I got up to on both of the devices.
    So would be nice to get home and just stream the podcast that I'm listening to straight to my MacBook.

5. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

Buy another AirPort Express.
    Connect the speakers that are currently direct attached to the MacBook to the new APE. Leave the speakers physically located in the same spot.

Now you can stream to the speakers from your MacBook -or- from your iPad.

6. PhazonUK macrumors 6502

I think the whole idea was that he wanted to avoid paying £80 (or however many dollars) on a second Airport Express.
    I sure wouldn't want to have to pay £80 for an Airport Express when the only feature of it I would be using it AirPlay.

7. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I agree that this would be nice. We have an AE or ATV in most rooms of the house, except the office, where we have an iMac connected to speakers. I can send my Airplay content anywhere except the office...

Putting another AE in there isn't the same, because I want all sound from the iMac to come from those speakers, not just content I can push over Airplay.

8. Esthepiking macrumors newbie

9. phluid13 macrumors member

phluid13

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Play from MacBook to all your devices and use the remote app to change songs on your Mac.

10. shandyman Suspended

Did you not read that he specifically mentioned pandora..... Lol

11. phluid13 macrumors member

phluid13

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

I didn't know he was solely talking about pandora. I thought he was talking about music in general and pandora "sometimes". Thanks for your clarification but my perception of what he wanted was different than yours. Sorry.