Airplay music without TV turned on with ATV4

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by xmichaelp, Nov 1, 2015.

1. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Is this possible? I'm trying to find out if I need to buy a receiver with Airplay or not. Basically what I need to know is..

If I have an Apple TV 4 connected to a receiver with HDMI, can I airplay music to it without needing the TV to be on?

Also, if it doesn't work over HDMI, could I plug in a 3rd generation ATV over optical audio and listen to music with the TV off that way?

Thanks.

2. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

It seems it would. I have a 3rd generation ATV and it works going directly to my sound bar, through HDMI, without the television turned on. And I know it has worked just the same with an optical cable when I had it connected to my sound bar that way.

So, right now I have my ATV connected via hdmi to my sound bar, and another hdmi cable connects my sound bar to my television. That sounds basically the same as what you're describing?

If you have whatever else connected to your receiver via hdmi and it's still sending the audio while you have your screen turned off, then I don't think an ATV should act any differently.

3. big samm macrumors 65816

Yes i would always use my 3rd generation apple tv to stream music via air play or via the remote app without the tv open... Now that the new apple tv 4 can control the tv or/and the receiver it still possible...

4. geesus macrumors regular

geesus

Yeah it works fine, though I did find that turning the TV on again, while using airplay, caused the audio to drop out momentarily, but that may be amp-specific.