Airplay not working on Apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by doubleaa, Nov 4, 2013.

1. doubleaa macrumors regular

My Apple TV Gen 2 has completely stopped working via Airplay and Home Sharing. We own many Apple devices (iPhones, iPads, MacBooks) and it doesn't work with any of them. I've attempted wiping it back to defaults with no luck.

I have no problem accessing the Internet from AppleTV and my wireless access point config hasn't changed in years. I can ping it from other devices and ports are wide open on my home LAN.

I work on large enterprise networks daily and am very technical...yet this little device has me stumped. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

have you rebooted your router?
    sometimes they get a bit screwy.

check out iStumbler it includes a bonjour browser, so you can see what's on your network. your aTV should show up and be advertising AirTunes (music streaming) and airplay (video streaming)
    *for what it's worth i just tried the "beta GM candidate 5" and nothing showed up in bonjour, so i'd go with the "release 99"

3. priitv8 macrumors 68020

4. doubleaa thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys, the Bonjour Browser helped me pinpoint the issue. I could only see the device I was running the app from, iPad, iPhone, etc.

My Cisco wireless AP was rejecting the multicast addresses that Bonjour uses (224.0.0.251 and 224.0.0.252) for some odd reason. Upgraded the IOS to a newer version and it started working.