AirPlay not working.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by BreakGuy, Sep 25, 2011.

1. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

I'm having an issue with my Airport Express not playing music through AirPlay in my room. I can unplug my Express and plug it back in again and music will play smoothly for, I don't know, 10 or so minutes... then it just cuts out yet the light remains a steady green on the Airport Express.

Now I have another Express set up in the lounge for AirPlay too and have never had an issue with that particular one, just the one in my room. What seems to be the problem here?

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

how do you have your network set up?

are either of the expresses hardwired?
    if not are they setup to join or extend the network?

are there more obstacles (walls, and such) between the main base and the express that you are having problems with than with the one that you're not.

and a 2nd part to that, does the signal go straight through the wall or at an angle? by going through at an angle, the signal goes through more wall.

do you have anything that can cause wireless interference close to the second one? microwave oven, cordless phone, baby monitor, or possibly anything that uses electricity (although that shouldn't happen, but if the obvious things don't work, i would start eliminating the things that use the most electricity like window AC units first)

3. BreakGuy thread starter macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Network is set up so both of the Express's wirelessly join the current network.

Yes, there are a few more walls between my room and the main base but it's not enough to hinder the internet connection greatly.

The only things that could cause interference are the TV and speaker system I'm trying to play through, but the lounge has far more electrical items which cause no difficulties to that station.

4. Kashika macrumors regular

5. BreakGuy thread starter macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Right now, I'm on channel 1. I've tried all 13 channels and channel 1 is the best.

6. waw74 macrumors 68030

depending on how the walls are constructed, even one wall can block the signal. Older houses with plaster walls, have a metal mesh used to hold the plaster to the walls, that will block the signal pretty quick. Cinder block is also pretty good at blocking signal.
    if one of those walls has cabinets in front of it, that's comparable to at least another wall there.

read an article in the last week that even breathing will affect a wi-fi signal, very minutely but still detectable with proper equipment.

if you're on a mac get istumbler, you can then see what other networks are in your area, you want to be as far away from those channels as possible. plus it will let you monitor the strength of the signal from your laptop, so you can compare levels in your different rooms.

also try re-starting the main base station, i've seen that help sometimes.