AirPlay on ATV4 - Way better?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by turbineseaplane, Oct 30, 2015.

1. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

So is AirPlay better/faster/more reliable due to the better specs?

That might be my only reason for buying the new unit right now.

2. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

I never really had a problem with iOS Airplay in the past, but it certainly never worked super well as a second wireless monitor for my iMac. I just tested it again, playing some streaming video from a broadcast provider and it was not smooth. The mouse still jumps around as well.

Keep in mind I tested for 30 secs and haven't really put much effort into it.

3. turbineseaplane thread starter macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Bummer - Was hoping something about much upgraded hardware could make latency and reliability much better.

4. maerz001 macrumors 6502

Me too. I often have stuttering and audio lag with safari streamed videos with atv3

5. protobiont macrumors 6502a

I'm using it with twitch and it works great. Never had issues on the ATV3, however.

6. turbineseaplane thread starter macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Another one I'll be interested about is ESPN. Never sure if that's the Apple TV's fault or ESPN, but the native app for ATV3 was always horrific for streaming for me - Probably ESPN's fault

7. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Issue is iOS, so no it still sucks as bad as ever.. nothing has changed.

8. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

It depends on what sort of Airplay you are talking about. Airplay has worked flawlessly for me for years on the ATV from most iOS apps or from iTunes on a Mac. That's because in those situations the stream is negotiated directly to the ATV. If you are talking about trying to watch video via display mirroring, well, that's never going to work acceptably, no matter what, new hardware or not.