Airplay on Express too far away for my patio. Help?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mcfire12, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Mcfire12 macrumors member

Well I have a surround sound stereo in my garage that my patio speakers are ran to. I just want to stream music from my iPhone or iPad while sitting on the patio. I have an airport express that will work while in the garage, but it drops off the airplay if I move on the patio where I really want to use it at. Can I purchase another express to piggyback the signal if i'd set it in the kitchen which would be the halfway point between the patio and garage? The patio to garage is probably 50 feet or so and it's obviously obstructed by walls. I'm not sure what to do here? Any advice!?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

No. Wireless extension connects to the main base station. If the second AirPort Express is set to Extend and the third (on the patio) is on "Join" then it may work, but with any wireless extension system you run into bandwidth and latency issues. I would either run Ethernet to the patio AirPort or run extended speaker wires from the speakers on the patio to the sound system in the garage and plug the AirPort into the garage system. Keep in mind that AirPorts are not rated for outdoor use on a patio.

3. Mcfire12 thread starter macrumors member

So my only solution is to buy a long audio cable, and run it through the crawl space or attic and set the airport express in a more central location inside the house like my kitchen? I was hoping to not have to do that.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

That or run Ethernet to the AirPort Express. Is the second Express setup to join or extend the network?