Airplay on imac - what's the point?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Abazigal, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I know this argument could be dismissed as "If you don't like it, don't use it", but I am genuinely curious if anyone has actually found a use for this.

This feature is undoubtably a godsend for laptops, since you have it propped near you while you recline on the couch, and it lets you save a step (no need to convert videos to transfer to your ipad).

But for desktops that are probably a room away? I find it troublesome to have to move from one room to another, what more shuttle back to fast forward/rewind.

Or is this simply a feature that was intended to benefit laptops more, and the imac got it anyways since they all run the same OS? :p

2. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

Streaming audio to an airport express.
    Streaming audio to your Apple TV so you can listen to it through your theater system.
    Streaming a movie from iTunes to your TV, don't need to be in the room with the iMac to watch it.

3. Imaginethe macrumors regular

I will be using it quite a bit. My music system is away from where my iMac will be. And if i want to change the song, my ipad or phone will will be able to do that with the itunes remote.

I see it being useful for me.

4. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

It's just a feature optimized for Macbook. You're right OP, iMac has this eventually just because they run the same OS. In reality it's just not that practical, more limited and less usable than in a laptop.

It gives us a hint that Apple designed their OS with mobility and tiny screens in mind. It's their #1 priority nowadays.

Another case:
    MacPro cannot be used with new Thunderbolt Display. But all 2011 and newer Macbook can.
    So the most expensive Mac out there happens to be the most moronic too.

What kind of logic is that? :rolleyes: