Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ourcore

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2012
Hey, guys,

I've never spent too much time with AirPlay because I don't have/need an Apple TV, but I was interested in mirroring my iPad and iPhone to my late 2011 MacBook Pro. I'm just not sure if it's compatible. I have some external monitors connected to the MBP, and I see "AirPlay: Off" in the displays menu bar icon, so I'm not sure how to turn it on. If I got into my display preferences, there's no "On" option. I also came across AirServer, so I wanted to see what the best option might be.

Ultimately, I want to mirror my devices to my TV. I tried a few apps on my Fire TV Stick, but the video was too laggy to bear.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
AirPlay in Apple's rendition has never worked like this. The only receiver in Apple universe, that can take and show pictures, is AppleTV.
AirPlay option in Display Preferences turns on as soon as at least 1 AppleTV is found on local network.
But sure - there are 3rd party solutions available: http://www.airserver.com/Mac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.