Airplay on my Mac won't work properly

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hojoon0724, Aug 12, 2011.

1. hojoon0724 macrumors regular

So I've been trying to get my iMac to play with Airplay and so far I've installed AirServer, AirMac, AirPlayer.

And so far, all of them have the same symptom: No videos or songs will discover the iMac but pictures do perfectly fine.

I've tested the AirPlay feature on an AppleTV and the iDevices stream perfectly well.

BTW, I followed all the help instructions I've been able to find on Google (including the FAQ page from AirServer) and nothing works.

Here's the hardware I'm running

iMac (running Lion)
    iPad
    iPhone 4
    Airport Extreme

Thanks in advance.

2. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

One thing you may want to try (it worked with an Airplay issue on my Mac) is to turn off IPV6 in the Network Settings.

It's worth a try. You can always turn it back on if it doesn't help.

3. hojoon0724 thread starter macrumors regular

How do you turn that off??

4. WickedStealthy macrumors member

I have been struggling before with airplay but I got it working now without any hickup whatsoever. My suggestion to troubleshoot.
    Build yourself a very simple setup.

Enable Airserver and use a very basic switch and use a fixed cable to connect the iMac to the switch. Allocate a fixed ip adress for the imac. I'm not sure if you can do this with the airport extreme but if possible connect the airport extreme (express in my case) directly to a DUMB switch (no vlan, security etc ...). Give it a fixed ip address in the same range as I did for my ipad. Also the extrem should run in bridge mode so that there is not routing done whatsoever. If there are special options disable them all.

This setup is like having a switch with two connections on it and NO routing done by any other device. At that point I discovered that my normal HP procurve 24-port switch caused the problem of dropping connections etc due to a security feature set on this switch (not my dumb testswitch).

After disabling the DOS security feature on my normal switch everything went on smoothly.

5. hojoon0724 thread starter macrumors regular

Hey thanks for the help but I can't understand anything of what you're saying.
    Am I connecting a dumb switch to the router? or am I putting the extreme into bridge mode? (which I tried, but it won't connect to the internet)
    Or am I putting 2 routers and putting them into switch mode? (which goes against your method of assigning a separate IP address because in switch mode it shares one IP address)

Also, I don't think my current situation doesn't require another router.
    I mean, it works on photo app perfectly. It just doesn't work on video or audio.

Any other ideas?