Airplay Onscreen Display

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by monaarts, Jan 16, 2011.

1. monaarts macrumors 65816

So I'm just curious about the 4.3 update and how it handles Airplay… Does the developer have the option to allow the app to still be displayed while doing airplay?

For example, let's say a developer created a racing game that allowed for the iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad to tilt as a steering wheel. When playing normally you would see the car and speed and map…. But when you go into airplay mode, the iPod/iPad displays the rear view mirror while the TV displays the traditional driving view.

I hope this is the case and I hope that it doesn't force the device into that gray screen that shows the Airplay logo. :p So does anyone have any confirmation of this?

- Joe

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I don't think you understand what AirPlay currently is.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/airplay.html

Right now you can only send Movies/TV Shows, Music and Photos to a 2nd Generation Apple TV via AirPlay, no games allowed (yet).

3. monaarts thread starter macrumors 65816

Thats why I am saying for version 4.3, which is in beta. I fully understand what Airplay is - I have a Macbook Pro, iPad, iPhone 4, and :apple:tv 2 and use airplay all the time. The 4.3 update allows for 3rd part developers to use airplay and nothing would be stopping them from technically outputting the video in the game via airplay - just didnt know how the screen worked for this.

- Joe