AirPlay option for [nonexistent] AppleTV

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jbstew32, Jan 3, 2017.

1. jbstew32 macrumors regular

I don't own an AppleTV, and I never have. For some reason all my Apple devices think that I have one. My Mac, iPad, and I think even my iPhone give me the option to "AirPlay" my display to an AppleTV.

Why would this be? How do I get rid of it?

2. JohnDS macrumors 65816

Exactly how are your devices connected to the internet?

3. jbstew32 thread starter macrumors regular

I have Verizon fios and use their standard hardware. It's a standard wireless router using WPA2. My dhcp table confirms that there are no hosts on my network that I didn't put there... iPhones, iPads, MacBooks. No AppleTV though :)

4. JohnDS macrumors 65816

Try turning off Home Sharing in iTunes then reenable it and see if it goes away.

5. jbstew32 thread starter macrumors regular

that was a really good idea.... unfortunately home sharing isn't enabled. I enabled it and then disabled it just to see, but it had no effect

6. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

7. jbstew32 thread starter macrumors regular

I do, but it turns out that turning off bluetooth has no effect on it. The only way to make the mysterious AppleTV not be discovered anymore is to turn off Wifi

8. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

Very odd.

I wonder if it takes a while to forget about a Bluetooth discovered Apple TV? With the Bluetooth off, but wifi on, will the rogue Apple TV disappear after a good length of time (let's say test for 1/2 hour or possibly overnight).

My first thought is Verizon modem's moca might be leaking your signal and someone else has hooked onto it, but my understanding is that once moca signals hits the optical line (unlike coax cable) it will not transmit any past that point. (Using cable coax, you need a moca filter to prevent possible sharing your network with a neighbor).

Multiunit dwellings can be a real mess as usually a tenant can't get access to the entire system to check for proper wiring hookup or see if someone has spliced the line to try and get free cable/internet.

Are you using any moca/power line Ethernet adapters in your housethat might be creating a new network and inadvertently sharing your internet? Check to see if encryption is offered on any of these devices and enable it to see if the Apple TV disappears.

If you disconnect your phone from wifi (but continue to have wifi enabled on the phone itself) does the rogue Apple TV option disappear? I am just trying to narrow it down to a rogue device on your network vs a device that is not actually using your internet.

Finally, I wonder if some kind of airplay software is running on a device you own. I think a boxee box, reflextor software, and some other hardware and software put a fake airplay receiver onto a network that could mimic a real Apple TV/airport express.

Something like this: http://www.airsquirrels.com/reflector/