Airplay Outdoor Speakers

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kellington, Mar 23, 2011.

1. kellington macrumors newbie

It seems Airplay was released months ago - yet there are very few Airplay devices? Specifically, I was hoping for some Outdoor Wireless speakers that could be connected to iTunes / AirPlay

Anyone?

The iHome iW1 has been in "coming soon" mode for 6 months. Not outdoor, but at least close to what folks want.

What is the problem with AirPlay?

2. patrickkaine macrumors newbie

Bump

wanted to find out this exact thing - does anyone have any leads?

3. jtara macrumors 65816

The answer - tada! : Airport Express

So, what's wrong with an Airport Express and the powered outdoor speakers of your choice?

Of course, you'll have to protect the Airport Express from the weather, or locate it indoors and run the audio cable outside.

If you get one of those largish outdoor electrical boxes with the big flip-up plexiglass cover, the Airport Express may well fit inside the enclosure.

4. Azzin macrumors 68040

I'm after the same thing! :D

Hi all,

With the summer months (hopefully!) approaching (in the UK), I'd like to have the ability to stream our music to some speakers in the garden using an Airport Express.

I'm really not sure what I should be looking at here, so all advice will be useful!

The kitchen is at the back of the house and looks out onto the garden and the AE will be situated in a plug socket on that wall (in the kitchen, just next to the window).

What I need then is a couple of discreet speakers that can connect to the AE via a 3.5mm jack (am I right in saying they need some kind of amplifier built in to achieve this?).

Many thanks.

[Edit] - Scrub that, the AE will be inside the kitchen and I'lll run the lead out.

I just need to find the right speakers now!

5. jtara macrumors 65816

Actually, you might be better of with a small amplifier that you can hide in a kitchen cabinet. You would have an even wider variety of speakers to choose from (even those silly "rock" speakers) and then you don't have to worry about powering them. Just run weatherproof direct-burial speaker cable.

LOL, the cable sold for low-voltage outdoor lighting would qualify as excellent "weatherproof direct-burial speaker cable". That's what you'd need to get low-voltage from a wall-wart to powered speakers anyway - a good, fat direct-burial cable.

6. Azzin macrumors 68040

Thanks, what kind of amp do you mean?

7. jtara macrumors 65816

One channel for one speaker, two channels for two. With enough watts to drive your speakers to your required volume, and little enough distortion to keep your ears happy. ;)

You could look on Craigslist for a used stereo component amp. You could get a new one for anywhere from $50 to $thousands, depending on what you want. Emotiva's seem highly recommended, at least over on a Denon thread I follow, for those who feel their AV receiver's amps are inadequate, or for running Zone2/Zone3 in another room. But they are pretty big.

This is NOT a recommendation, but just a quick Google search. For something more compact, look for something like this:

http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=kzamTYnAIIehtwfr-92FAQ&ved=0CC8Q8wIwBA#

8. Cascadians macrumors member

I want airplay outdoor speakers. Weather is finally nice. Lots of yardwork to do.

Already streaming awesome playlist from iMac to 11 speakers inside, just want to add outside speakers on deck.

Want it easy and weatherproof, just plug in the outlet on deck, leave the speakers there.

Why oh why isn't this available?

9. Azzin macrumors 68040

So, I'm still on the hunt for some outdoor speakers.

Ideally, I'd like to connect the AE direct to the speakers and as I understand it I need "Amplified" speakers (as opposed to "Passive") to do this.

Does anyone have any recommendations for speakers?

I've had a quick nose around and found some outdoor/garden speakers, but I have no idea whether they are amplified or not. :confused:

http://www.emphasysav.co.uk/shop/outdoor-speakers.aspx

http://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/category/122/outdoor-speakers

http://www.soundsavers.com/shop/aud...ogle+Shopping+Results&utm_medium=Product+Feed

All advice/suggestions welcome. :)

[Edit] - I'm in the UK BTW.

10. Azzin macrumors 68040

A quick bump as I'm still looking for speakers! :D

11. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

First and last links are passive speakers. I would search for "active outdoor speakers" and you'll find what you're looking for.

If a speaker has no mention of being active or powered, chances are it'll list it's impedance, typically 8 or 4 ohms, this is the figure you would match to a separate amplifier thus the fact that it's there indicates that they're passive speakers.

12. Azzin macrumors 68040

Excellent, thank you.

[Edit] - Are all the speakers in that 2nd link active?

13. jljue macrumors regular

Your best bet for now will be to:

1. plug an Airport Express into some powered outdoor speakers
    2. hook an Airport Express or ATV2 into an amplifier or receiver and run speaker wire to passive outdoor speakers (my setup @ home)
    3. move an Airplay compatible speaker system in and out of the house as you need it.
    4. buy an Airplay compatible receiver and run speaker wires to outdoor speakers

It seems as if Airplay compatible products are slow to come on the market, but I'm sure that time will tell if MFG's realize that this is probably the easiest and least expensive way to stream music around the house--no longer do you have to spend thousands up front to have it built into a house or even more to add it to an existing house. This option is not no longer just for the rich thanks to new innovations from MFG's like Apple and its Airplay partners. All other options are too hard to setup by the average consumer or too expensive up front for the average consumer.

14. Azzin macrumors 68040

Ok...

I have an Airport Express in the living room hooked up to an Onkyo 606 A/V receiver via optical, so are you saying I could somehow run speaker wire from the 606 to a pair of passive speakers in the garden?

And if so, would that mean that when I sent music to the AE in the living room it would come out in both the garden and the living room speakers?

If so, that would be perfect.

Thanks. :)

15. jljue macrumors regular

Yep. If you have a multi-room/multi-source receiver, then you can play the AE in either location and have the other location play the same music or another source. If it is not multi-room/multi-source, then you probably have the speakers outs configured for A (living room), B (outside), or A+B (living & outside) to determine where your music is playing. Both inside and outside will be on the same volume control (your receiver), so you may want to add an extra volume control to one of the speaker sets if you want one set to be louder than the other semi-independently. But it might be the least expensive way to getting iTunes to the back patio, if you can do it yourself, and it can help with the resale value of your house.

16. Azzin macrumors 68040

It says this on the spec sheet:

"Powered Zone 2 and Zone 2 Line-Out for Playback in Another Room (Separate Source)"

http://www.eu.onkyo.com/products/TX-SR606.html

Will that do what I want?

Thanks again.

17. jljue macrumors regular

Yes, you can either use the Zone 2 speaker out to run to passive speakers outside, or you can use wireless speakers or other actives speakers outside using the Zone 2 Line Out. Either way, you are capable of playing either the same source or difference sources in both locations with independent volume control.

18. Azzin macrumors 68040

Brilliant, thank you! :D

So essentially all I need to do is get some decent passive speakers and run speaker wire to them from the Onkyo?

I need to understand what to connect the speaker wire to at the back of the amp now and then how I ensure that when the Airport Express input is playing that the garden speakers are also outputting.... :confused: :eek:

19. Jaunty macrumors regular

Azzin if you are running 7.1 Zone 2 will need active speakers (or its own amp). If you are running 5.1 then zone 2 can use the 2 spare amps from the Onkyo and you can use passive speakers.

The manual shows how to connect it http://www.eu.onkyo.com/dl/1040433/Manual_TX-SR606_En_A.pdf

20. steveproxy macrumors newbie

More resent AV Receivers commonly allow 5.1 and a 2nd zone in those mid models with active B or active zones.Anyway I personally use these: (Speakercraft's Oe6 One)& can highly recommend them (just read some reviews around on the net).

http://audiosolutions.net.au/sydney-audio-solutions/reviews/Best-Outdoor-Speakers-Review.html