AirPlay phasing out?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Entity82, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Entity82 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I've recently been buying AirPlay speakers with all the deals that have been available, but now I see that the speakers are being discontinued.

Is AirPlay being slowly phased out?

More and more speakers are being discontinued, the Klipsch G-17 Air, Pioneer A4, Denon Cocoon Portable. The Logitech UE Air speaker is now significantly discounted, most likely about to be discontinued. Pioneer A1 and Pioneer A3 speakers are also selling at a large discount, they may follow the Pioneer A4 and be discontinued. iHome has discontinued 2 of 4 AirPlay speakers so far, the remaining two are sold at discount now as well, though some sites are listing them as discontinued as well. Boston Acoustics and Philips have also been selling at discounts as well.

I understand that models with the 30 Pin docks will be discontinued to make way for models with the lightning connector, but there haven't been any announcements of newer versions. And there haven't been announcements of newer versions for the wireless only (no 30 pin dock) speakers either. Like the Klipsch G-17 Air and Pioneer A series.

Sony discontinued their older models that offered AirPlay and now has a premium wireless speaker with lightning connector and AirPlay listed on their site. Panasonic has done the same.

Klipsch discontinued the G-17 Air and now only offers an AirPlay luxury, modern-day hifi music system, the Klipsch Stadium Home Music System which retails 4 times what the G-17 Air did. No comparable wireless speaker to the G-17 Air.

I know that there are a lot of AirPlay speakers available from lots of manufacturers, but there haven't been many updates. Especially when comparing to how many Bluetooth speaker updates have been coming out.

Is AirPlay turning into a only high end option that will only be offered by Bang & Olufsen, Bowers 7 Wilkins, Polk, Libratone, and Bose?

I mean looking at the Apple Store online the only AirPlay speakers they list are from Bang & Olufsen, Bowers & Wilkins, Polk, Libratone, and Bose. The two iHome models listed there are listed as discontinued on various sites, leaving just the Philips Fidelio SoundRing on there.

LG and Samsung each offer 3 speakers similar to the Pioneer A series. A small speaker with no woofer, a portable speaker with built in rechargeable battery and no woofer and a bigger speaker with a sub-woofer. I wonder if they will be discontinued as well?

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Am thinking you are a vendor, you can only sell Airplay speakers to Apple folks.

So (thinking cap on) I will make BT speakers instead, that way I can sell it to ANYBODY.

3. cyber16 macrumors 6502

Indeed and the fact the bluetooth 4 is less costly to bring to market and the fact it uses so little power from the host.

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

With portable speakers Bluetooth is a better fit than Airplay and vice versa.

5. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I suspect that the licensing and production costs were just too high to make it a really viable solution. The fact is that most people who want Airplay in the home will probably buy an AppleTV, and Bluetooth is a better solution for portable devices.