Airplay Quality with iPhone and Slingbox?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Nobodyukno, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Nobodyukno macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I recently purchased the Slingbox 350 for viewing television at my 2nd home. I have the iPhone app and I use Airplay to stream television to an Apple TV at my 2nd house.

I've had the Slingbox for about two weeks now and I cannot go more than 5 minutes without the stream buffering. Is this normal and is what I should expect when using Airplay on an iPhone to stream to an Apple TV?

My download and upload speeds are more than adequate as far as speedtest is concerned.

Slingbox Location - Download 28mb / Upload 5mb
    Apple TV Location - Download 12mb / Upload 4mb

Watching TV is almost unbearable with this buffering every 5 minutes or less. Do I need to open any ports on my router or anything? Does anyone have any positive experience with using Airplay on an iPhone to stream to an Apple TV with slingbox?

I've heard the iPad app and airplay stream better with airplay and slingbox? Any truth to this?

Thanks.

2. asriznet macrumors regular

I've done airplay a lot and had no issues most of the time.
    Are u facing the buffering issue without airplay? Just viewing it from the iPhone itself.

3. Nobodyukno thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried watching on my phone and it works great. Streaming speeds which are listed in the app say 3,000-4,000 kbps.

I tried using airplay again to the apple TV and left the streaming speeds open. It looks like they cap the speeds at about 1,000 kbps? I'll start out at about 400 kbps and it will go up by 100 kbps until about 1,200 kbps and then thats when it buffers and hangs up and then it will go back down to like 2-400 kbps and work its way back up to around the 1,000 kbps mark and then buffer and hang up again.

Am I the only one experiencing this problem?

4. Nobodyukno thread starter macrumors newbie