Airplay Question: iTunes to iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Bockit, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Bockit macrumors newbie

Are you supposed to be able to stream videos from iTunes to your iPad via airplay? I probably need to go over the keynote and look at the relevant sections again, but I got that impression from watching it on the livestream.

I ask because I just updated to the iOS 4.2 beta and couldn't see the option to do that.

2. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

No. Airplay will allow you to scram the audio from music or a movie playing on the iPad to external airplay capable, or airport express speakers.

With what you're thinking the closest thing I can tell ya is that with an apple tv you'll be able to play a movie on your iPad, then push a button and have the movie continue at the same spot on your big screen tv with apple tv.

3. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

You don't need to check the keynote, just go the website - http://www.apple.com/itunes/airplay/

Airplay is a speaker wire replacement (oversimplify analogy)

4. Nausicaa macrumors 6502a

This is something I've always wanted to do and I don't understand why, after 4 years of iPhone releases, Apple doesn't allow you to stream music from your computer to these iDevices. It's such an obvious feature and easy to implement I'm sure. You can stream music from other iTunes libraries on all other Mac OSX devices. But not the iDevices, which were designed for portability and would be a perfect match for this functionality. You should just be able to boot up the iPod app and access your computers library if you are on the same network.

They even have a remote app which allows you to stream music from a computer to other speakers, but it won't let you play the music directly on your iPhone or iPad. What a joke.

5. artofpeace macrumors newbie

You can download Airfoil ($25) for you computer and use it to stream from itunes (or any other music playr for that matter) to any ios device. Also requires a free app from Airfoil called speakers. You can also download the ios version of airfoil for iphone/ipad and play to other computers/devices. All the software is easy to configure (took me two seconds) and works reliably.

6. turkey1 macrumors member

Steamtome lets you stream to your iPad audio and video, but if your on a different network you can't stream anything with drm

7. ccolaco macrumors 6502

The new iOS 4.3 will let you stream content from your iTunes library on your Mac to any iOS device via Home Sharing. No need for 3rd party apps.

8. turkey1 macrumors member

Yea home sharing is nifty, but only on your network. I was watching walking dead today at the doctors office streamed from my computer. You can't do that with home share only streamtome or airplay

9. shenfrey macrumors 68000

what needs to happen in my opinion is sure Home Sharing is brilliant, but we need to easily be able to transfer via home sharing to our other devices so instead of them being through a stream, they are being hard copied to the device its self. (so on the HD/SSD)